HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Bathing after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
Am I allowed to take a bath after my hysterectomy?
Taking a bath too soon after a hysterectomy can cause an infection. The vagina is already a dark, moist place—perfect for growing bacteria. Bathing can introduce more water to the area along with any bacteria and chemicals that happen to be in your bath water.
Most doctors do not want you to soak in a bathtub until you have been cleared, usually around 4–6 weeks after surgery. This gives your vaginal cuff plenty of time to heal before water and everything in it is introduced to the area.
In some cases, however, physicians suggest bathing but with specific instructions. If your doctor clears you to bathe, follow his instructions exactly. Otherwise, stick to showering
until you are cleared to bathe.
If you love to take a bath, plan to make your first one special! Don't make it too hot, or you could get dizzy and light-headed. But choose some scented candles and beautiful music to add ambiance. Set aside a new book or magazine you can read during that first soak in warm bubbles up to your neck. For that first bath after your doctor clears you, savor your bath, and soak until you are as shriveled as a prune! Afterward, dry with a super fluffy towel and lather on some lovely scented lotion from head to toe!
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
04-12-2003 - 09:27 AM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Devin Garza, M.D.
12201 Renfert Way, STE# 215
Austin TX 78758
|Aarathi Cholkeri-Singh, M.D.
120 Osler Drive
Naperville IL 60540
|Todd Adams, M.D.
235 Medical Park Rd Suite 201
Mooresville NC 28117
|Francisco Garcini, M.D.
1870 Silver Cross Blvd
New Lenox IL 60451
|Tamer Seckin, M.D.
872 FIFTH AVE
NEW YORK NY 10065
|Gerald Harkins, M.D.
Department of OB-Gyn
P.O. Box 850, H-103
Hershey PA 17033
|David Ghozland, M.D.
530 Wilshire Blvd.
SANTA MONICA CA 90401
|Jonathan Carlson, M.D.
9401 W Thunderbird
Peoria AZ 85381
|James Greenberg, M.D.
1153 Centre Street #36
Jamaica Plain MA 02130