HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
How Long Will the Pain Last after Hysterectomy?
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
How long will I hurt after my hysterectomy?
If you had an abdominal procedure, or any additional repairs along with your hysterectomy, you can expect to experience some degree of pain for several months post-op, although many women report that their significant pain diminished by around the fourth week.
A hysterectomy is a major operation. Internal organs that were not removed were pushed, pulled, and rearranged. Even if you were fortunate to have had a “textbook” surgery and were given a “clean bill of health” at your post-op exams, you need to accept the fact that post-op soreness may linger for quite a long time.
We are all eager to resume our lives at full capacity. Realistically, however, healing occurs very gradually for most women. Feeling terrific rarely happens all of a sudden. It is more likely that your constant awareness of your sore and achy body will become less constant and more sporadic as the weeks go by.
Many of our members say that it takes six months in order to experience even one day that you don’t think about your hysterectomy. If you are experiencing pain and discomfort, it’s no wonder that you can’t stop thinking about it!
For many women, their physical recovery seems to consist of weeks of “three steps forward, and two steps back.” You may get excited that a few days pass during which you feel quite good only to have those days followed by a spell of feeling like you just got home from the hospital. This may signal that you are physically exerting yourself too much, so even if you think you are taking things easy, slow down even more. Recovery requires patience.
It is important that, as the weeks pass, you at least notice a gradual improvement in how you feel. If you don’t improve, or if you experience a significant backslide in your recovery, you should see your doctor and describe what you are feeling.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other hysterectomy patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
04-12-2003 - 09:32 AM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Mark Richey, M.D.
1200 Airport Heights
Anchorage AK 99508
|Aileen Caceres, M.D.
Center for Specialized Gynecology/Florida Hospital
410 Celebration Place, Suite 302
Celebration FL 34747
|Eric Grossman, M.D.
903 Sheppard Road
Voorhees NJ 08043
|Robert Furr, M.D.
Women's Surgery Center
1604 Gunbarrel Road
Chattanooga TN 37421
|Robert Castle, M.D.
3650 Joseph Siewick Dr. #203
Fairfax VA 22033
|Jack Inge, M.D.
4414 Lake Boone Trail
Raleigh NC 27612
|Mayra J. Thompson, M.D.
5323 Harry Hines Blvd Dept OBGYN
Dallas TX 75290
|Susan Carter, M.D.
North Colorado Medical Center/ MCR
1800 15th Street, Suite 220
Greeley CO 80631
970 353 1335
|Megan Daw, M.D.
Western Carolina Women's Specialty Center
2100 Ridgefield Blvd
Asheville NC 28806