HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Driving after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
I just had my first post-op checkup. When I left the office, the nurse told me to remember to rest, and no driving until my next post op visit in 4 weeks! I'm already climbing the walls, and it's only been 10 days! Why can’t I drive and are these normal post-op instructions?
Not being able to drive for a couple weeks can leave you stir crazy! Each doctor can have different post op instructions. Some doctors may tell you six to eight weeks after surgery, while others will recommend one week from your post-op checkup. It’s best to check with your doctor about your time frame for driving again.
There are several reasons why driving isn’t allowed. You may be taking pain medications and shouldn’t be driving for that reason. Anesthesia might still be lingering in your system causing your reaction time to be slower than needed. If you were to need to stop suddenly, you could easily hurt yourself, tearing stitches internally from the pressure.
Once you are able to drive, you’ll find that you’ll need to watch out for your seat belts. Buckle it a little loose and keep a pillow between your stomach and the seat belts. (Check out the Tummy Pillows
in the HysterSisters Store
You will also notice that your big mall adventure may turn out to be a quick trip, as you will get tired easily. Start out slow and small! Take small trips and stay close to home. Driving can make you really sore, so it’s best to wait until your body is ready. Your body will thank you for it!
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Tamer Seckin, M.D.
872 FIFTH AVE
NEW YORK NY 10065
|Ruslana Kadze, M.D.
5525 Etiwanda Avenue
Tarzana (Los Angeles) CA 91356
|Lauren Streicher, M.D.
Gynecologic Specialists of Northwestern, S.C
680 N. Lake Shore Dr., Suite 117
Chicago IL 60611
|Diane DiTusa, M.D.
2671 hwy 70
Manasquan NJ 08736
|Charles Miller, M.D.
120 Osler Drive
Naperville IL 60540
|Larry R. Glazerman, M.D.
1098 W Baltimore Ave
Health center 3 3404
Media PA 19063
|Clifford Rogers, M.D.
The Everett Clinic, Dept. of Surgery and Gynecology
1330 Rockefeller Ave, Suite 120
Everett WA 98201
425 339 5424
|Megan Bird, M.D.
21810 Willamette Dr.
West Linn OR 97068
|Siobhan Kehoe, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390