HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Back Pain after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
I have had terrible back pain since my hysterectomy. Friends and family suggest that rest will help but that only seems to exacerbate it. Is this a normal part of recovery?
This is a common complaint recovering hysterectomy patients, especially during the first few weeks of recovery. It can be the result of a few different things.
The first week or two of recovery, this pain can be a result of the position you were placed in during surgery. The degree can vary depending on the length of the procedure. Those who have undergone a more extensive surgery will often complain of a higher degree of back pain as they may have been in an awkward position for longer periods of time.
After undergoing any type of abdominal surgery, using the muscles in the area of your incision can be very painful. You may find yourself avoiding this pain by using your back muscles instead. This overcompensation can also cause back pain.
Because we were cautioned to rest during recovery, we often then find ourselves in a horizontal position more, which can result in back pain. Changing positions and walking around more frequently, perhaps for shorter periods of time, can help relieve this pain.
Anytime you experience new symptoms or concerns, always schedule an appointment to see your doctor.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
04-12-2003 - 09:43 AM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Aarathi Cholkeri-Singh, M.D.
120 Osler Drive
Naperville IL 60540
|Marwan Shuayto, M.D.
1201 Stone St.
Port Huron MI 48060
|Aileen Caceres, M.D.
Center for Specialized Gynecology/Florida Hospital
410 Celebration Place, Suite 302
Celebration FL 34747
|Hampton Richards, M.D.
8305 Walnut Hill Lane
Dallas TX 75231
|Peter Vienne & Tom Kazmierczak, M.D.
936 W. Rt 6
Morris IL 60450
|Sherry L Neyman, M.D.
Renaissance Women's Group
12201 Renfert Way Ste 200
Austin TX 78758
|Ken Sinervo, M.D.
1140 Hammond Dr., Ste. F6220
Atlanta GA 30328
|Ellen Wilson, M.D.
5323 Harry Hines Blvd - Dept of OBGYN
Dallas TX 75390
|Mark Richey, M.D.
1200 Airport Heights
Anchorage AK 99508