HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Pain Medications after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
How long will I need pain medications after my hysterectomy? I'm one week post-op and still can't get through a day without a pain pill.
It is really hard to say how long you will need pain medication. It can depend on many things such as your personal pain tolerance, how quickly you heal, how much you are really resting, and your overall health.
Doctors usually discharge patients from the hospital with a pain medication prescription for a few weeks to take as needed.
Take your pain medications on time. If they are meant to be taken every four hours, plan accordingly those few few days.
It is not unusual to be taking pain medication at 1–2 weeks post-op.
If your initial prescription for pain medication runs out and you still feel like you need it, call your doctor's office to ask about a refill
Ideally, by the time your final checkup with your surgeon comes around during weeks 4–6, you should no longer need pain medications.
If you are concerned about your ongoing pain, discuss your needs with your physician.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
04-12-2003 - 10:16 AM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|heath miller, M.D.
1101 madison street
seattle WA 98104
|Mayra J. Thompson, M.D.
5323 Harry Hines Blvd Dept OBGYN
Dallas TX 75290
|Francisco Garcini, M.D.
1870 Silver Cross Blvd
New Lenox IL 60451
|Bruce Pierce, M.D.
2 Princess Road
Lawrenceville NJ 08648
|Quanita Crable, M.D.
8160 Walnut Hill Lane
Dallas TX 75231
|Tiffany Jackson, M.D.
601 Clara Barton, Suite 160
Garland TX 75042
|Robert Castle, M.D.
3650 Joseph Siewick Dr. #203
Fairfax VA 22033
|Jonathan Y Song, M.D.
2455 Dean St.
St. Charles IL 60175
|Clifford Rogers, M.D.
The Everett Clinic, Dept. of Surgery and Gynecology
1330 Rockefeller Ave, Suite 120
Everett WA 98201
425 339 5424