HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Urinary Tract Infection after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
I just got home from my doctor's office. I've been feeling lousy and having trouble urinating. My doctor told me that I had a bladder infection. Is this a typical part of the hysterectomy recovery?
Cystitis, (also called bladder or urinary tract infection) is a common condition, is usually caused by a bacteria from the anus entering the urethra and then the bladder. This leads to inflammation and infection in the lower urinary tract.
Catheterization can also lead to a UTI, which is why it's not uncommon for newly post-op hysterectomy patients to come down with an infection. Immobility (such as recovering from surgery) and not drinking enough water can also contribute to developing an infection.
The symptoms of a UTI include:
- Pressure in the lower pelvis
- Pain or burning with urination
- Frequent or urgent need to urinate
- Need to urinate at night
- Cloudy urine or blood in urine
- Foul or strong urine odor
- Painful sexual intercourse
- Pain in the side, vomiting, or fever and chills (may be a sign of kidney involvement)
If you experience any of these symptoms, please see your doctor so that a urine sample may be obtained. Lab work will indicate if an infection is present. If so, you will be treated with a course of appropriate antibiotics.
Tips for prevention include:
- Keep your genital area clean.
- Wipe from front to back.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Urinate before and after sexual intercourse.
- Avoid beverages that irritate the bladder, like alcohol and caffeine.
- Drink cranberry juice, but NOT if you have a personal or family history of kidney stones.
- DO NOT douche or use feminine hygiene products.
- Wear cotton undergarments.
Use of low-dose antibiotics on a daily basis may be recommended to prevent UTIs if you get frequent infections.
Along with an antibiotic medication like Cipro, your doctor may prescribe Pyridium to reduce the burning and urgency associated with cystitis.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Sherry L Neyman, M.D.
Renaissance Women's Group
12201 Renfert Way Ste 200
Austin TX 78758
|Clifford Rogers, M.D.
The Everett Clinic, Dept. of Surgery and Gynecology
1330 Rockefeller Ave, Suite 120
Everett WA 98201
425 339 5424
|Jack Ayoub, M.D.
44035 Riverside Parkway
Leesburg VA 20176
|Siobhan Kehoe, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390
|Jennifer Hayes, M.D.
Visionary Centre for Women
2695 Ulmerton Rd
Clearwater FL 33762
|Kym Boyman, M.D.
1775 Williston Rd., Ste. 110
South Burlington VT 05403
|Katherine Hsiao, M.D.
3905 Sacramento Street, Suite 204
San Francisco CA 94118
|Gerald Harkins, M.D.
Department of OB-Gyn
P.O. Box 850, H-103
Hershey PA 17033
|Shirley Bennett, M.D.
7255 Old Oak Blvd
Middleburg Hts OH 44149