HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Catheters after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
Will I come home from the hospital with a bladder catheter?
Standard procedure for a hysterectomy doesn’t include coming home with a catheter but it can happen.
A foley catheter
is typically inserted during surgery for a hysterectomy and removed the next day. A foley catheter is a thin tube with an inflatable bulb near the tip. The tube is threaded through your urethra (while you are in surgery and are unaware of it) and held in place by the expansion of the bulb with a syringe of water, to keep it from slipping out. This tube is connected to a longer tube that is usually taped to your leg and run down to a clear plastic bag that is hung on the side on your bed. It usually remains in place for 24 hours until the bladder can void on its own.
Sometimes a hysterectomy patient comes home from the hospital with the foley catheter for a short time but this isn’t typical.
A suprapubic catheter
comes out just above the pubic line and stitched into place. It has a valve that can be turned off and on. The purpose of this catheter is to drain your bladder until is is able to function on its own. The urine may empty into a bag strapped to the leg or another bag that may be attached elsewhere as long as it is below the bladder.
The suprapubic catheter is generally used with patients who have had bladder repairs, bladder re-suspension, bladder injury during surgery and may be left in place for several weeks while the bladder heals.
Other bladder comments:
Many women report their bladder feeling bruised and tender during those first weeks post-op, causing urination to be difficult and/or painful. It’s not unusual for women to complain of bladder spasms that might feel like an infection.
Post-op bladder infections can happen because of the introduction of the catheter into the urethra although it is not typical.
To encourage yourself to urinate, post-catheter removal, drink plenty of water. Sit on the toilet and run the water in the sink, placing your hand in warm water. Relax. If you find little results after sitting there for ten minutes, get up, drink another glass of water and wait fifteen minutes before trying again. Contact your doctor or head to the emergency room if you can not urinate on your own.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Melodie Wilson, M.D.
3650 Joseph Siewick Dr. #203
Fairfax VA 22033
|Jenifer Schwarz, M.D.
950 Capitol Mall
Sacramento CA 95831
|Sara Wood, M.D.
621 S. New Ballas Rd, Suite 2002
St. Louis MO 63141
|Bruce Pierce, M.D.
2 Princess Road
Lawrenceville NJ 08648
|Gretchen Makai, M.D.
4735 Ogletown Stanton Rd MAP II, Ste 2103
Christiana Care Health System
Newark DE 19713
|Clifford Rogers, M.D.
The Everett Clinic, Dept. of Surgery and Gynecology
1330 Rockefeller Ave, Suite 120
Everett WA 98201
425 339 5424
|Dionysios Veronikis, M.D.
621 S. New Ballas Road, Tower B, Suite 2002
St. Louis MO 63141
|Ruslana Kadze, M.D.
5525 Etiwanda Avenue
Tarzana (Los Angeles) CA 91356
|David Zisow, M.D.
2005 Rock Spring Rd Ste. 3
Forest Hill - Baltimore MD 21050