HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Resuming Intimacy After Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
My doctor has given me the green light to resume sexual activities with my husband, but I'm worried and a bit scared. Any suggestions?
After your doctor releases you to resume intercourse, you may feel excited and enthused, or nervous and scared. No matter which group you fall into, you are not alone. Women experience a variety of emotions connected to this segment of their post-op return to real life
Whether you feel confident or timid, it would be wise to proceed with caution. You should look forward to reconnecting with your partner, but don't expect intercourse to automatically be exactly how it was before. While some women do just fine immediately after being cleared for intercourse, it may take others a number of months to really feel back to normal. The key words here are slowly
. Especially if you had a TVH
, there can still be some swelling and tenderness, even as far as six weeks post-op, that can make penetration uncomfortable.
On the flip side, sometimes nerves are cut during the vaginal hysterectomy, so you may not feel the usual sensations at first. As the nerves regenerate and the wounds heal, however, those sensations should start to come back.
In all cases, remind your partner that your body is still “new” and delicate in the pelvic area, and that you will need to be in control of the action.
Another thing: there should be no pressure when returning to intercourse. Even if you have clearance from your doctor, you should both feel ready—physically, mentally, and emotionally before resuming intercourse. Take time to talk to your partner and come up with a plan for that first time. Plan to make it special and romantic. Consider including a glass of wine or a massage to relax you and help set the mood. It is also a good idea to have a lubricant
available, even if you never needed one in the past.
Intimacy is more than a physical act; it includes all the tenderness and affection you share as a couple. Being ready mentally and emotionally will help your body physically respond the way it was designed to.
If everything heals properly, most women do resume normal and pleasurable physical relationships if that is what they experienced in the past.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Emily Cunningham, M.D.
1720 Nicholasville Road
Lexington KY 40503
|Hugo Ribot, M.D.
958-A Joe Frank Harris Parkway
Cartersville GA 30121
|Linda Wrigley, M.D.
4200 Lake Otis Pkwy Ste 101
Anchorage AK 99508
|Gerald Harkins, M.D.
Department of OB-Gyn
P.O. Box 850, H-103
Hershey PA 17033
|James Kondrup, M.D.
161 Riverside Drive
Binghamton NY 13905
|Jonathan Y Song, M.D.
2455 Dean St.
St. Charles IL 60175
|Lillian Schapiro, M.D.
275 Collier Road, Suite 250
Atlanta GA 30309
|Mini Somasundaram, M.D.
3600 Olentangy River Rd
Columbus OH 43214
|Jon Nielsen, M.D.
9825 Hospital Dr. Suite 205
Maple Grove MN 55369