HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Resuming Intimacy After Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
My doctor has given me the green light to resume sexual activities with my husband, but I'm worried and a bit scared. Any suggestions?
After your doctor releases you to resume intercourse, you may feel excited and enthused, or nervous and scared. No matter which group you fall into, you are not alone. Women experience a variety of emotions connected to this segment of their post-op return to real life
Whether you feel confident or timid, it would be wise to proceed with caution. You should look forward to reconnecting with your partner, but don't expect intercourse to automatically be exactly how it was before. While some women do just fine immediately after being cleared for intercourse, it may take others a number of months to really feel back to normal. The key words here are slowly
. Especially if you had a TVH
, there can still be some swelling and tenderness, even as far as six weeks post-op, that can make penetration uncomfortable.
On the flip side, sometimes nerves are cut during the vaginal hysterectomy, so you may not feel the usual sensations at first. As the nerves regenerate and the wounds heal, however, those sensations should start to come back.
In all cases, remind your partner that your body is still “new” and delicate in the pelvic area, and that you will need to be in control of the action.
Another thing: there should be no pressure when returning to intercourse. Even if you have clearance from your doctor, you should both feel ready—physically, mentally, and emotionally before resuming intercourse. Take time to talk to your partner and come up with a plan for that first time. Plan to make it special and romantic. Consider including a glass of wine or a massage to relax you and help set the mood. It is also a good idea to have a lubricant
available, even if you never needed one in the past.
Intimacy is more than a physical act; it includes all the tenderness and affection you share as a couple. Being ready mentally and emotionally will help your body physically respond the way it was designed to.
If everything heals properly, most women do resume normal and pleasurable physical relationships if that is what they experienced in the past.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
04-12-2003 - 11:31 AM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Stephen Zweibach, M.D.
815 S Parsons Ave
Brandon FL 33511
|Jack Inge, M.D.
4414 Lake Boone Trail
Raleigh NC 27612
|Siobhan Kehoe, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390
|Tamer Seckin, M.D.
872 FIFTH AVE
NEW YORK NY 10065
|Tiffany Jackson, M.D.
601 Clara Barton, Suite 160
Garland TX 75042
|Megan Daw, M.D.
Western Carolina Women's Specialty Center
2100 Ridgefield Blvd
Asheville NC 28806
|Mini Somasundaram, M.D.
3600 Olentangy River Rd
Columbus OH 43214
|Larry R. Glazerman, M.D.
1098 W Baltimore Ave
Riddle HLTH Ctr 3 #3404
Media PA 19063
|Linda Nicoll, M.D.
NYU Faculty Practice GYN
NYU Trinity Center - 111 Broadway 2nd Floor
New York NY 10006