HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Pap Smear after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
Do I need a Pap smear after my hysterectomy if I didn't have cancer?
If you had a partial hysterectomy and still have your cervix, you will need to continue with regular smears. If, however, you had a complete hysterectomy, it may depend on your situation and the philosophy of your physician.
In March 2012, the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) reported that the United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) and the American Cancer Society (ACS) updated cervical screening guidelines and stated that they are not necessary for women who have undergone a complete hysterectomy for benign reasons (a). However, there does not seem to be a uniform opinion among physicians about whether or not women without cancer need to continue with Pap smears following a complete hysterectomy. Changes in the surface of the cervix that produce abnormal Pap smears can also occur on the vaginal cuff or vaginal walls. Thus, some doctors and patients feel that periodic Pap smears can be wise to catch or monitor any of those changes. As a result, physicians may make an assessment on a patient-by-patient basis, or establish a policy for their practice based on their own interpretation of current medical data.
If you have never had an abnormal Pap smear, talk to your doctor about whether continued Pap smears are right for you following your hysterectomy. If you are at risk for any abnormal conditions related to the vagina or cervix (DES exposure, HIV exposure, etc.), share those with your physician. If you become sexually involved with a new partner, talk to your doctor about whether Pap smears are right for you to monitor any STD related possibilities.
(a) New Cervical Cancer Screening Recommendations from the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force and the American Cancer Society/American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology/American Society for Clinical Pathology
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Published: 12 April 2003
Last updated: 31 May 2014
04-12-2003 - 11:35 AM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Richard W Farnam, M.D.
1700 N. Oregon
El Paso TX 79902
|Jennifer Elliott, M.D.
980 Johnson Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30342
|Ellen Wilson, M.D.
5323 Harry Hines Blvd - Dept of OBGYN
Dallas TX 75390
|heath miller, M.D.
1101 madison street
seattle WA 98104
|Tiffany Jackson, M.D.
601 Clara Barton, Suite 160
Garland TX 75042
|Jack Ayoub, M.D.
44035 Riverside Parkway
Leesburg VA 20176
|Arnold Advincula, M.D.
Columbia Ob/Gyn Midtown
51 West 51st St, 3rd FL
New York NY 10019
|Clifford Rogers, M.D.
The Everett Clinic, Dept. of Surgery and Gynecology
1330 Rockefeller Ave, Suite 120
Everett WA 98201
425 339 5424
|Susan Carter, M.D.
North Colorado Medical Center/ MCR
1800 15th Street, Suite 220
Greeley CO 80631
970 353 1335