HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
HRT Alternatives | Soy
From the Menopause and Hormones Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
Is soy an effective substitute for HRT in treating menopause symptoms?
Soy is high in isoflavones, which are a type of phytoestrogens, which are chemicals found in plants. Because the makeup of these chemicals is similar to that of estrogen, they can often attach to the estrogen receptors in the human body in the absence of estrogen. Thus, soy may effectively treat some menopause symptoms.
Soy has shown the most promise in preventing osteoporosis during the first ten years after menopause and managing hot flashes. Its effects on other symptoms are mostly unstudied and/or inconclusive. Many of our HysterSisters find relief from hot flashes when they add soy products to their normal daily diet. These could include, prepared soybeans, soy milk, tofu, and soy burgers, dogs, etc.
IMPORTANT: Because soy does have estrogen-like properties, it is generally not recommended for women suffering from conditions, like endometriosis or breast cancer, that are fueled by estrogen.
As with all treatments, there is not one right answer for everyone. Do your research and talk to your doctor before you start any regimen.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
04-12-2003 - 03:01 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Tamer Seckin, M.D.
872 FIFTH AVE
NEW YORK NY 10065
|Katherine Hsiao, M.D.
3905 Sacramento Street, Suite 204
San Francisco CA 94118
|Aarathi Cholkeri-Singh, M.D.
120 Osler Drive
Naperville IL 60540
|David Ghozland, M.D.
530 Wilshire Blvd.
SANTA MONICA CA 90401
|John Lenihan, M.D.
314 ML King Jr. Way
Tacoma WA 98465
|Jennifer Hayes, M.D.
Visionary Centre for Women
2695 Ulmerton Rd
Clearwater FL 33762
|Arnold Advincula, M.D.
Columbia Ob/Gyn Midtown
51 West 51st St, 3rd FL
New York NY 10019
|Susan D. Hunter, M.D.
626 Ed Carey Dr
Harlingen TX 78550
|Natalya Danilyants, M.D.
8218 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 414
Bethesda MD 20814