HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Ovaries | Still Functioning?
From the Menopause and Hormones Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
I had a hysterectomy but retained both of my ovaries. I have been experiencing some symptoms that are menopausal: hot flashes and night sweats. Can our ovaries stop functioning? How can I tell if they are shutting down?
Yes, it is possible for the ovaries to shut down after a hysterectomy. Doctors say that the ovaries may go into shock after surgery, and it may take a while for them to get back to normal. This can be temporary or permanent. Some studies suggest that as many as 50 percent of women who undergo a hysterectomy and retain their ovaries will have them cease to function within five years. If you continue to have menopausal symptoms, check with your doctor. S/he can run hormone level checks and prescribe hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for you.
A hysterectomy can often damage the blood supply to the ovaries, which causes them to malfunction, thus decreasing estrogen levels. This decrease in estrogen causes menopause symptoms
. In addition to dealing with hot flashes
, night sweats, vaginal dryness
, and memory loss, you can also feel like you have an “I don't care" attitude about everything or a lack of interest in things that you used to enjoy—It may look like depression
. Diminished libido, irritability, or fatigue are also common menopause symptoms. Because these symptoms can be related to other health issues, it is always good to consult your doctor. Your physician can administer tests such as a vaginal smear and a blood test to detect your follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) levels.
A doppler ultrasound can also help reveal any damage that might have occurred to the ovarian blood supply. If the blood supply is not damaged, then your ovaries should still be able to produce enough estrogen.
If your doctors will not test your hormones, you can try seeking a second opinion
. The guessing game can be time-consuming, and you don't want to wait any longer than necessary for relief. Some labs will accept stool and saliva samples and send you results.
You may need a specialist to interpret the results. It is important to state that you are not on hormone replacement therapy and that you want to know how your results compare to someone pre-menopausal.
Keep a calendar and track your symptoms in a symptom diary
. Then make an appointment to see your doctor anytime you experience new symptoms or concerns.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
04-12-2003 - 04:09 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Siobhan Kehoe, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390
|Gerald Harkins, M.D.
Department of OB-Gyn
P.O. Box 850, H-103
Hershey PA 17033
|Joseph S. Valenti, M.D.
2805 S. Mayhill Road
Denton TX 76208
|Nathan Mordel, M.D.
105 Collier Road Suite 1010
Atlanta GA 30309
|Steven McCarus, M.D.
400 Celebration Place Suite310
Celebration FL 34747
|Lauren Streicher, M.D.
Gynecologic Specialists of Northwestern, S.C
680 N. Lake Shore Dr., Suite 117
Chicago IL 60611
|Kym Boyman, M.D.
1775 Williston Rd., Ste. 110
South Burlington VT 05403
|Todd Adams, M.D.
235 Medical Park Rd Suite 201
Mooresville NC 28117
|Jennifer Hayes, M.D.
Visionary Centre for Women
2695 Ulmerton Rd
Clearwater FL 33762