| Why Progesterone?|
From the Menopause and Hormones Articles List
Progesterone - Do I Need It?
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Why Progesterone after a hysterectomy and the removal of the ovaries?
Many women are told by their doctors, both family doctors and their GYN, that if they no longer have a uterus, they don't need progesterone. Research is now providing information that this may not be accurate.
If a woman has no ovaries (or the ovaries, through surgical shock, have quit working) and she needs estrogen for menopausal symptoms, it would make sense to explore the possibility that the progesterone needs to be replaced too.
The ovaries produced estrogens (three of them) and progesterone and a smidgen of testosterone when they were attached to the uterus. When the ovaries are removed why not replace the hormones that the ovaries can no longer produce for themselves?
Progesterone does so much more than tell a uterus when to clean itself out.
Progesterone balances the estrogen to make sure the body doesn't become estrogen dominant. (tender breasts, bloating, insomnia, brain fog). Progesterone is not the same as progestins (such as Provera) but progesterone in its natural state.
Listed in Dr. Lee's book, What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause, the functions of progesterone:
* is a precursor of other sex hormones including estrogen and testosterone
* maintains secretary endometrium (uterine lining)
* protects against fibrocystic breasts
* is a natural diuretic
* helps use fat for energy
* functions as a natural antidepressant
* helps thyroid hormone action
* normalizes blood clotting
* restores sex drive
* helps normalize blood sugar levels
* restores proper cell oxygen levels
* has a thermogenic (temperature rising) effect
* helps protect against breast cancer
* builds bone and is protective against osteoporosis
* is a precursor of cortisone synthesis by adrenal cortex
Each woman must find the hormone therapy that works for her and stick with it. Don't be afraid to take information to your doctor and ask for a new prescription that you would like to try. Some women like Premarin and do great on it. Other women need estrogen and progesterone configured carefully to get the right balance back.
Try progesterone in compound forms of cream or sublinguals or try the newly FDA approved capsule of progesterone called Prometrium (100 mg per day). You can also get progesterone cream at the health food stores, but beware. Not all of the progesterone creams have an effective concentration level.
Discuss any menopausal symptoms and your thoughts about hormone therapy with your doctor.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Progesterone - Do I Need It?
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
|Susan D. Hunter, M.D.
626 Ed Carey Dr
Harlingen TX 78550
|Arnold Advincula, M.D.
Florida Hospital Celebration Health
400 Celebration Place
Celebration FL 34747
|Debra Richardson, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390
|Scott Dinesen, M.D.
599 W State Street
Doylestown PA 18901
|Byungyol Chun, M.D.
Northern Essex Women's Health
360 Merrimack St Entrance G
Lawrence MA 01843
|Brad Cohen, M.D.
2477 Route 516
Old Bridge NJ 08857
|Stephen Zweibach, M.D.
815 S Parsons Ave
Brandon FL 33511
|Jack Ayoub, M.D.
44035 Riverside Parkway
Leesburg VA 20176
|Kym Boyman, M.D.
1775 Williston Rd., Ste. 110
South Burlington VT 05403
Checking In June Newsletter
The HysterSisters June newsletter has been published and can be accessed on the website here: June 2013 HysterSisters Ch [More