Hysterectomy HysterSisters

Hysterectomy HysterSisters (https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/index.php)
-   Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) (https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Average Blood Loss during Surgery? (https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/showthread.php?t=88934)

midvale 01-31-2003 09:30 AM

Average Blood Loss during Surgery?

Hi sisters,

I was wondering how much blood loss typically occurs during a TAH without any complications. After reading a couple of posts about bruising and slow healing times, I'm wondering how average my estimated blood loss of 500 cc (about a unit of blood) was for an uncomplicated surgery. My entire abdomen and about 3 inches into my right thigh was bruised. I also was told I was a slow healer; the stitches in the vaginal vault were still there at 4 and a half weeks and this week, at 9 weeks, I was treated the 2nd time for some granulation tissue.

The :doctor: says that my bleeding was on the high side of normal, so not to worry. My main concern is that my sister has an inherited bleeding disorder and although I was checked for it prior to surgery, the testing is not definitive and often results show as normal.

:wave:Thanks,
midvale

Tami 01-31-2003 10:35 AM

I don't know what the "norm" is but my surgical report for my TAH said "estimated blood loss was 650". I assume that is cc's?? It doesn't say. I had some very deep, very black bruises on my incision site. Doc said that was normal. I was anemic after my surgery though so maybe all this is tied together? :confused:

redheadgal45 01-31-2003 12:10 PM

Blood Loss

I'm not sure either what is the norm for this, but according to my op report I only lost an estimated 200-250 cc, which doesnt sound like much... My doc was pleased with this as I tend usually to be a bleeder if I cut myself, and my periods were just Niagra Falls! :lol: Take Care:wave:

Deb

CwbysLdi 01-31-2003 12:26 PM

I'm not sure what the normal blood loss is, but my Dr told me that I lost about a tsp of blood is all.

midvale 01-31-2003 09:01 PM

Thanks for the replies. Seems like we have quite a range here. Wow, CwbysLdi, only a teaspoon? You win! :celebrate:

Maybe we can hear from some other princesses to get a more representative sample.

midvale

pastaprincess 02-01-2003 01:19 AM

My report states that my blood loss during my TAH/BSO was 150cc's. I just got through measuring that and it is 2/3's of a cup.

:hug:s

StampinCat 02-01-2003 01:55 AM

average blood loss

Well, again, as a post op RN I can give you some norms I think. The most normal ones we get are about 100- 150 cc's. Minimal is great, would expect that more with a vag than an abdominal. 500cc is probably high range of normal to low range of large amount.

In saying that, I had a 1000cc blood loss which is definitely large. My hct was 29 so I didn't require a transfusion. Used to be anything below 30 got transfused, now it is about 27 and below and that came about after the AIDS crisis. Now I am taking iron and will get my hct (hematocrit - part of the blood count) done at about 4 weeks. Need to have it up before I have my second surgery.

psychonurse 02-01-2003 03:11 AM

I lost approximately 250cc of blood with my surgery and i was anemic but i was before the surgery so that didn't make really any difference. I had one unit of blood on hold for me and I didn't even use that. But I took iron before and after my surgery to get my levels up....and that really helps your bowel problem also...:lol:

TAH/BSO 8/20/02 for fibroids & endo. doing well now....

ktryathart 02-01-2003 04:27 AM

I did have a TAH with complications and I lost 1500 cc of blood according to the doctor and nurses I had more blood out of me then in me. They gave bags of nutrients (at least that's what they called them) at a fast rate and very closely monitored my blood pressure which bottomed out at 70/39 in the early morning hours. They were considering then to give me a blood transfusion when the blood pressure started to climb again.
Although I was very pale and constantly cold (they kept the room at 80 degrees) I did rebound by the time I went home. And right now I am on a high iron diet with iron pills to be taken 2 to 3 times a day.
I just got back from the doctor's yesterday and he says I look and doing good. :clap:

BJ

KelleyS 02-01-2003 08:31 AM

For anyone out there who knows how blood loss is related to drop in hematocrit, I have a question. My blood loss was 25cc, but my hematocrit dropped 8 points pre to post op. I had lots of bruising, and even noticed new bruising (labial) six days post op. How can this be?