HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Ovarian Cysts & Belly Button Pain Ovarian Cysts & Belly Button Pain

Unread 11-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Ovarian Cysts & Belly Button Pain

I had a lavh in January, leaving my left ovary. The past 3 months I've been having more and more pain on my left side and at my belly button. At my annual exam 4 weeks ago, my Dr did an u/s and found cysts all over it and one had ruptured (which is why I was in tears a few days before). Well I think another has ruptured this week as well.

So, he put me on OvCon b/c to try to help with the pain, but it hasn't helped any. I called on Friday and spoke with his nurse. My Dr wants to go ahead and remove the ovary and look around and see what is causing my belly button pain. He doesn't think I have a hernia, but thinks that there is endo. I have a few questions though. One hormones--I'm going to be 36 in a few weeks. On one hand, I'm not sure if I'm ready for the instant menopause, but I don't want to have to go back in for surgery in a few years if the endo would come back (which I've heard of happening). Two, which type of surgery would be better? The laproscopic where they go in through the belly button or a bikini so he can see everything better?

DH is freaked out about me having surgery again so soon and my Dad just about fainted when he heard I may have to go back in.

On a good note, my Dr will do the surgery before the end of the year since I've already met my deductible for the year.
Unread 11-19-2006, 09:30 PM

Sorry to hear you are having so much pain and problems post hysterectomy. I am hoping for myself they will go ahead with the bikini cut in order to visualize all the necessary organs. They explained to me they may try the belly button approach but if not successful, they will convert to the bikini incsision, so why not do that the first time?
When will you go for a follow up and know more? look to hearing more from you and about your situation.
Unread 11-20-2006, 09:43 AM

I just had my tubes removed and my option was the same as Rochelle's...start with a laproscope and if that wouldn't work, proceed to a bikini cut. I talked with my dr about my past laproscope, and the difficult recovery I had and how I would prefer 1 cut, not 2 and she said, well the bikini cut is easier for me, if that is what you want you just made my day easier.:-) So I opted for the bikini cut, I had already had a c-section so she reused that scar.

Considering you are having belly button pain, I would think he would want to do a bikini so he can see the belly button instead of working through it
Unread 11-21-2006, 11:36 PM

If you have a bit of a mess from endo down there, it might be easiest to just go with the inevitable abdominal incision. In your case, it seems like they're going to have to switch to that anyway.

But I would probably go with what your doctor thinks is best. I'm all for the least invasive approach myself, but you have more of a history than I do. I had an exploratory lap that turned into an abdominal incision 2 weeks ago; the belly button suture doesn't bother me at all, but the pain from the big bikini cut sure does!

The belly button pain might just be referred pain? The area around my belly button always always was the place that hurt the most when I had cysts pop on me. In fact, when I originally went to my internist about the sudden, sharp pain I was experiencing a few times a year, he checked me for appendicitis first before he had an U/S done.
Unread 11-30-2006, 05:46 PM

I had a partial hyst 4-5 yrs ago.About a month ago I also had pain in bellybutton and it was a umbilical hernia.I also had pain in left ovary,right one.I had the hernia operation 6 days ago and a laproscopy.I go to gyn on dec 5 for results I hope all goes well for you and take care Tamook

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.