HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

how long for estrogen to leave your body how long for estrogen to leave your body

Unread 07-21-2007, 09:14 AM
how long for estrogen to leave your body

Hi!
I was wondering if there would be a possible estimate for how long it would take for the estrogen you had in your body before surgery to exit if you have your ovaries removed. I am on a patch but have started having night sweats again as well as hot and cold flashes and I seem to be coming unglued.
I do have a doctor appointment on Tuesday but I have a bunch of questions so I'm just trying to go in somewhat informed.
Thank you for any help you can give me!
Lizzy
Unread 07-21-2007, 10:17 AM

Lizzy
Sorry you're feeling badly.
I think everyone is so different it is hard to say when your estrogen will be depleted. It can depend on how much fat (pardon the expression ) you have (because estrogen is stored and produced there as well). I think most hostesses on hystersisters say that about by 6 weeks your "reserves" can be used up.
I have one ovary and by 6 weeks postop (on no hrt then) I was becoming totally unglued.
It sounds like to me (and it's only my humble opinion) that you need a stronger patch now. I become "unglued" when my estrogen level is too low. I feel that way by the third day of my patch. I'm on the Vivelle Dot. So I put on the new patch on at the third day (instead of three and a half) and leave the old one on for a few hours until the new one kicks in. The literature says it takes about 4 hours to ""kick in" and 12 hours to reach peak level. The literature also says the half-life of the patch is 6-8 hours and after the patch is removed the estrogen level goes back down to baseline....so estrogen leaves the body pretty quickly.
Unread 07-21-2007, 10:48 AM

Hi!
Thanks, prettyanxious. I think I'll try throwing on another patch (I use the dot also) and leaving it on for a few hours and see what happens. Luckily, this is my third day. Thank you so much for the info! I hate feeling this way.
Thank you again!
Lizzy
Unread 07-23-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy320
Hi!
I was wondering if there would be a possible estimate for how long it would take for the estrogen you had in your body before surgery to exit if you have your ovaries removed. I am on a patch but have started having night sweats again as well as hot and cold flashes and I seem to be coming unglued.
I do have a doctor appointment on Tuesday but I have a bunch of questions so I'm just trying to go in somewhat informed.
Thank you for any help you can give me!
Lizzy
Everyone's different. I'm a tall 14-16 and I can tell you it was almost 3 months to the day after my surgery that my natural stored estrogen was depleted. I thought I was going to breeze through all this - and I crashed and burned. It took several months, but I found a good regimen eventually. Hang in there!!
Unread 07-23-2007, 07:08 AM

Hi Katrina,
Well, hopefully, it is that I have just run out of regular estrogen and the patch I'm on is not strong enough. I had not realized it would take so long to figure out what your body needs after removing everything. I just was trying to get away from the pain and periods and didn't really research the after affects.
Thank you so much for writing!
Lizzy
Unread 07-23-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy320
Hi Katrina,
Well, hopefully, it is that I have just run out of regular estrogen and the patch I'm on is not strong enough. I had not realized it would take so long to figure out what your body needs after removing everything. I just was trying to get away from the pain and periods and didn't really research the after affects.
Thank you so much for writing!
Lizzy
Yeah - the first few months post-op I was thinking "this is a breeze!" Then I ran out of stored estrogen. Yikes!! The good news about that is you can really tell then what you need to replace. I got my estrogen level at a good place, then I added testosterone. Later on, I added progesterone. Many oopherectomized women find that they need all three to feel optimal. Not all, but it seems like many women on this site do. Of course, your mileage may vary!!

There is a LOT of information and resources on this site. I would recommend you look around and develop some questions for your doctor. Good luck!
Unread 07-24-2007, 07:49 AM

Hi, Lizzy.

yeah the patches didn't work for me...before I went back to work, I'd get about a good 56 hours or so out of each 1 week patch...then when I went back to work and the stress etc they didn't seem to be working at all!

Tried both climara and vivelle.

I sure would like to know who they tested the patches on, because I've yet to find a single woman who they work for from day 1/hour 1 to day 7/hour 24. Even most of those who say they're great...then add "but I have to use a little estrogen cream the last couple of days to supplement" or they work great "but I have night sweats the last two nights"...

I don't get it!

Anyway, it takes a while to find a good mix sometimes...hopefully, you have a very good doctor who will listen and advise accordingly
Unread 07-24-2007, 06:27 PM

It took me about 8 weeks to crash and burn. I was SO determined to get through sudden menopause without any HRT...but I almost lost my job, my marriage, and my sanity, I was such a wreck. I'm on every hormone on the planet now, but feeling great.

isewquilts

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.