HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

update on my exploratory surgery - IC? update on my exploratory surgery - IC?

Unread 12-20-2007, 06:40 PM
update on my exploratory surgery

Well, I had my surgery Mon. as most people on here know my story I have had chronic pelvic pain for six yrs now after my hyst and have had several surgeries since then, 2 exploratory and adhesion removal, the last being an
enterocele repair, about 3 yrs ago, and continued to have pain afterwards. I finally decided I had to know if adhesions were causing the problem or the repair itself.
The gyn suspected a bladder problem so he did a cystoscope (sp?). Guess what? He says I have IC which I had read about and suspected all along but didn't have classic symptoms of urinary urgency and I had a scope done
a couple of yrs ago for this same pain, the urologist said no IC, don't think he even believed that it exists. But, anyway he took pictures and I was clean as a pin in my abdomen as far as adhesions, not a single one, but you could see the little pits all in my bladder. So he gave me a prescription for Elmeron, so we will see. He did say he saw
a couple of sutures on the cuff from the repair but he didn't clip them for fear of causing a problem with the repair, but I truly feel like that is part of the pain, and I do believe that I have IC and I can tell when it is bladder pain, but there are other times it feels like something else especially after I have a bowel movement, and I think that the sutures are pinching a nerve there on the cuff. I could have pelvic floor myalgia, also. It is too late to worry about it though, I'll just take the medication and hope for the best, maybe it will do the trick. Kim ( hostess) I thought about you when I saw those pictures of no adhesions, because I have read your post so many times about your surgery and no adhesions were found. Well, that is my surgery results, and now we will just have to wait and see what the medication will do. I feel pretty good, not hardly any discomfort from the surgery itself, I think he did a gentle surgery, I have had surgeries where I felt like I was tossed like a salad. I hardly have any soreness at all.
Unread 12-20-2007, 07:34 PM
update on my exploratory surgery - IC?

Glad you are feeling better. Hope your recovery is good and you feel back to normal again soon!
Unread 12-23-2007, 06:09 AM

Slt, I have not posted here in a while. But I too went to a doctor in Kansas that deals in chronic pain. I have had alot of surgeries so he went in too. He had found that my ovaries had attched to my vaginal cuff. We thaought that was it. But I too, am having the same problems, he said that I have IC and mylaigia too. Si I have been taking the elmiron and PT to relax the muscles. I am better. But I have this pain with BM, and pressure there that gets worse when standing. The new doc ordered another defogram and it said internal intussuception, and rectocele, and non relaxing puberectalis muscle. Go to colo rectal doc and he says that the colon has fallen and needs to be attached. Resecetion and rectoplexy. I go for another opinion and do not see that they say try more PT. So here we go.

I believe that there is an issue with my bladder, and the thing that helps me most is bladder instillations that they put in my bladder, that elmiron in it so it goes directly into your bladder.

And with the bowel, I most of the time can have a BM in the morning when I get up, but after that forget it. Sometimes it is just stuck there and it is very uncomfortable.

I am going to antoher colo rec doc after christmas to see what he says and then back to the uro gyn for his opinion.

I would like to get off this pain train. I know how you feel. Glad the surgery went well.

Sue
Unread 12-23-2007, 01:06 PM

That all makes sense, but boy you are talking some serious repair, I don't know if I would ever recover from all of that.
The doctor that did my enterocele repair said that I probably had muscle, and nerve damage from the enterocele being that way so long. I do believe that I have IC but believe there is something else too, because eating and having a bm changes the pain either for the better or the worse. Thanks for posting, had wondered how you are, keep me informed, would like to know the other doctor's opinion.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.