HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

what food to eat after surgery? what food to eat after surgery?

Unread 04-22-2008, 09:01 AM
what food to eat after surgery?

Hi all, I am curious on what foods I can eat after surgery, I know the first day I will probably only want liquids but after that what can I eat, the hospital food where I will be sucks and that is putting it lightly so what can i prepare to take with me?
Unread 04-22-2008, 09:10 AM

bellaluna84,

Good Morning!...really there is no need to take food, you won't be able to eat until you pass gas anyway and it takes longer for some, myself I didn't have anything no water, no ice,no jello, NOTHING for 2 days...I was SO thirsty and hungry..The food at my hospital was actually good, the dietery chef came in after every meal to make sure things were good and to see if I needed "extra" and snacks!..I must have looked bad!!!....lol...but, it's a small hospital so maybe the personal service is different where your going..If you find you don't like there food you can always order out, but you have to ask the nurses first just incase there is a food allergy to your meds...I have had that reaction, and its was no fun on top of everything else!!!..Good Luck...see you on the other side

Unread 04-22-2008, 10:33 AM

I wouldn't take any food with you. I had surgery exactly one week ago today (TAH BSO). I was on a liquid diet after surgery until I passed gas, which was the day I was discharged (2 days after surgery). I had jello, broth and juice. The day my bowels finally did wake up, I had eggs and bacon, but didn't finish it. The painkillers really did a number on my appetite.

Hope this helps
Unread 04-22-2008, 10:42 AM

Everyone is right. You will not be able to eat solid food until your digestive system wakes up. I had jello, juice and broth for 3 days. One day I thought I was getting away with having solid food when I found flakes of parsley in my broth! LOL.
Even when I got home, I did not eat much. cup of soup or a half a sandwich or a small helping of mac & cheese, but lots of fruit!
Unread 04-22-2008, 12:02 PM

I am one of those that took some things with me. I took some dried fruit, nuts and bottled water. I was cleared for a regular diet about 2 hours after surgery. I snacked on the fruit and nuts after the kitchen closed - 7PM.

I inhaled the bottled water.

I too had room service - it was okay. When I got home I had no appetite - still don't. I had a few complications and have this chronic pain so I think it is just whacking my appetite.

I personally was glad to have the things I brought.
Unread 04-22-2008, 05:17 PM

You didn't mention what type of surgery you are having. I had LSH and ordered a cheese plate in the last afternoon...my surgery was at 9AM and I was in my own room at noon. So, I was eating about 5 hours post-op.

Your appetite will, most likely, be smaller than normal.
Unread 04-22-2008, 05:44 PM

Toast and applesauce were my friends that first week. Also enjoyed jello and fruit. Gradually added more substantial food, but it took awhile to get my appetite back. Best wishes!
Unread 04-22-2008, 10:17 PM

hey all, thanks for the imput. I am having a TAH and I think i will just bring some yogurt and applesauce and definately Vitamin water with me. I live in the gulf of mississippi and the water here is so full of bleach you can't drink it. we use bottled water at home and the hospital I know uses the gulf water so deciding what to bring is crucial, I don't want to make a pest of myself anymore than I have to in the hospital. I could be a real witch with B afterwards and so I really don't want to rock the boat and order out or make nurses find the impossible. But I am glad that all of you are here and I have a place to surround myself in comfort before and after. Y'all are great women and I appreciate every one of you who have helped me. 9 days to go!! Jeanette aka bella
Unread 04-22-2008, 11:47 PM

The hospital food was terrible for me, the dietician even came in to ask what I would like and sent up ice cream every evening trying to get something into me. Once you get home though you are not going to be up to large meals. I was fortunate to have my sister with me so she did the dinner cooking. For lunch I made it to the fridge and grabbed some cottage cheese and right back to the sofa. Protein is very important to help promote healing. Before you have surgery stock up on things that take no effort to prepare. Fruit. Cottage cheese. Cheese sticks. Turkey slices. You might want to prepare some favorite family dishes ahead of time and freeze them. I had a TAH, and then a post op infection so I was out of commission for awhile. The other thing I did the week before was major grocery shopping, 3 weeks worth at once since I didn't have a driver available to go get anything while I was down. My sister never learned to drive.
Unread 04-22-2008, 11:56 PM

Hi bellaluna 84,

I'm from MS also, but way at the top of the state, near TN. When I was in the hospital, they brought me these orange "sherbert" cups about 2 hours after I came to my room and those were really good because my throat was really dry and scratchy (I guess from the anesthesia ???) so maybe you can see if those are an option. The next day it was regular food but I only wanted very little of that...I basically lived on the sherbert things till I went home the next day.
Good luck on your surgery !

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.