HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Anyone with "atypical cells" in pathology report Anyone with "atypical cells" in pathology report

Unread 10-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Anyone with "atypical cells" in pathology report

I am new to this board. I recently had an ooph/bso because of an ovarian cyst and brca+ status. It was mostly expected to be prophylactic.

My pathology from the ovaries/tubes was fine, but in the pelvic wash for high risk patients, they found these"atypical cells. " My gyn-onc says if they were "cancer" the report would say so. They are just not "normal."

Anyone else have this? If so, what did your gyn onc recommend?

Mostly seems ok, but just enough not to give me that "whew! relief feeling" I had hoped for. She is suggesting seeing me after 3 months and then every 6 months- perhaps with CA125. But only because there really isn't anything else to do... I am thinking perhaps I will send the slides for a 2nd opinion to somewhere else. Thoughts?

Thanks.
Unread 10-03-2008, 09:31 PM
2 more weeks

I got the same diagnosis but the OB/Gyn felt I should have a TH not sure if it will be a TVH or TAH? Maybe because I am 54, and have been in menopause since I was 50? He said this way I did not have to worry about it anymore. He said 30% turn cancerous.
Unread 10-03-2008, 09:38 PM

Hi sgr2005, I'm sorry to hear about the wash results. Did the pathology report say what type of atypical cells? Has your doctor done a colposcopy or an ECC (endocervical curettage)?
Unread 10-03-2008, 09:41 PM

I had that happen when I was about 20. I am 29 now and never had anymore problems with that certain issue. I have had many girly problems though. Endometriosis is what finally closed the deal for me to get hysterectomy. I think when I had that they told me to come back in 6 months and we would follow up with another pap. Seems to me that Dysplasia, ASCUS and HPV all work together but I am not sure in what way and that it can even be explained where one can understand.
Unread 10-04-2008, 07:32 PM

Thanks for all your replies. My wash was inside the pelvis- in the peritoneum, so unless I misunderstanding, I don't think the cells could be from the cervix or related to HPV (no way to get up in there past the uterus, unless they shot out the fallopian tubes??). So I haven't had a colposcopy.

Bisoubie- so I am curious about your case. You also had your ovaries removed with a pelvic internal wash- the same as me? Now you are going back for a 2nd surgery- a full hyst? So did they think your cells came from the uterus?

I am already a breast cancer survivor- I don't need to try out any other cancer types!

Thanks.
Unread 10-07-2008, 07:33 PM

I just got diagnosed a few weeks ago with Uterine dyplasia. I haven't had any surgery yet. I have pre-op Friday. Hospital called today and said they have a TAH scheduled. I was hoping they would do a LVH but the nurse said that because of my Vertical C-Section scar tissue, he is more comfortable doing abdominal? I guess because I am already in menopause they are doing a total. I have a lot of questions?
Unread 10-07-2008, 08:49 PM

Bisoubie, I'm having a TAH/BSO because of complex hyperplasia with atypia. Mine will also be a vertical incision although not because of a previous incision. It's because the dr. may need to remove lymph nodes to stage cancer if they find any. My surgery is just a couple of days before yours.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway