HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

My lower abdomen feels heavy My lower abdomen feels heavy

Unread 10-15-2008, 06:46 PM
My lower abdomen feels heavy

after 8 weeks post op. I had surgery on August 18th...ovaries, tubes and adhesions. I had previous hyst. in 1997 which removed my cervix and uterus because of fibroid tumors . That surgery was done vaginally and the most recent was done through the abdomen because of adhesions (from what I don't know). My abdomen feels so heavy and sore. Anyone else have this feeling?
Unread 10-15-2008, 11:19 PM

Hi Firefly7555!

Sorry you've been through so much! I had a full abdominal hysterectomy leaving my ovaries in on September 23rd. Prior to this I had an ovarian cyst burst and had emergency surgery in June. They removed the cyst off my ovary but left both my ovaries in. Wondering if that was the right thing to do since this last cyst was my third one that I've had. My body just seems to keep developing ovarian cysts. The two earlier ones went away on their own, but this last one was huge and burst leaving all kinds of thick sticky stuff all over the inside of me the doctor said. I was immediately treated for peritonitis. A burst ovarian cyst has got to be the worst pain I have ever had in my entire life. I actually passed out on the bathroom floor and my husband could not revive me and called 911 and had me rushed by ambulance to the E.R. Was on the operating table for four hours and had lost so much blood that the surgeon said they almost lost me. I am now scared to death that I will get another ovarian cyst like the last one since they left my ovaries in and worry that next time it could kill me.

I can totally relate to the heavy belly thing! Although I'm only in my third week of recovery from my hysterectomy and you are in your eighth, I just want to let you know that I too am having the "swelly belly" problem. Terribly sore and heavy feeling. Lower tummy still feels kind of numb and not quite normal yet. Very very itchy!!! Drives me crazy. I'll be trying to sleep and all I can think of is how much I want to scratch. It'll keep me awake! I'm hoping that eventually this heavy, sore and itchy belly thing will go away real soon. Like you, I just want to feel normal again. It seems like during the day I can put up with all this so much better than I can at night. For whatever reason, at night it just seems to feel a thousand times worse. Also having a heck of a time when trying to get up from sitting in a chair. I move very slowly and feel old and creeky, LOL! Not sure what the answer is to all this, I guess just time will heal all.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, good health, happiness and love,

Mrs. RG
Unread 10-16-2008, 06:59 PM

THanks so much for writing back! And I'm so sorry for you as well. I would be scared too if I were you about the cysts. I have a friend who had one burst and she said the pain was incredible. Her experience wasn't as bad as what you experienced, but it kept me going for ultra sounds to check on mine. I'm 53, had my hystr. when I was 43 and then the cysts started appearing on my ovaries back about 2 years ago. Some of them came and went but one kept getting larger so I opted to have my ovaries removed. I sometimes wonder if it were the right thing to do......recovery is really a lot tougher than I thought it would be. I had to go back to work after just 4 weeks ($$$$$$$) so I wasn't able to take it easy like I would like to have done. But, today I bought a pair of Control Top Undies for my belly and wore them to work and it seemed to help support the "swelly belly" feeling. I'm an active person.. love to walk a lot etc... and this is killing me! I feel like i'll never be myself again. I wish you a full recovery and as quick as possible! Firefly7555
Unread 10-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Smile - My lower abdomen feels heavy My lower abdomen feels heavy

Hi!
Wow! You and MrsRG have been through some horrible things! I too, had a LAVH in Jan 2007 (they left ovaries), and they just removed the ovaries/tubes on 10/15 due to endo. Believe me, I know exactly what you mean with the heavy belly thing- it feels like you're wearing a lead apron around the middle! I've often wondered why it does that (I had the same feeling with my LAVH), but I always chalk it up to being one of the side effects from the trauma of the surgery. I've never really heard of a "scientific" explanation, but I can only imagine the tissues/muscles, etc. are reacting to stress and the way the body does that is to encapsule them with fluid? Kinda makes sense, I guess. Just get as much rest as you can- I've found that laying down for about an hour helps to alleviate that feeling- at least for awhile. Take care of yourself and I hope you get to feeling better.
Unread 10-25-2008, 11:06 AM

i also expirianced the swelly belly it felt as if someone had tied a string to my bellybutton and was pulling down on that sting with all their might!! luckily that only lasted a while and i wore my swelly belly band!! sounds like you all have ben through a lot!! which i have too..lol! but take care and i wish u all the best!
Unread 10-26-2008, 08:31 PM

the heavy feeling I had, I swore I wish it would just fall out...because that is truly how I felt. A little scary feeling that way when you are having bladder issues you too...but I've been put on vesicare for that, for now. I am I think 14 weeks post op and on occasion I still feel it from time to time. Take it easy and don't over do it! Thinking of you! HUGS
Unread 10-26-2008, 11:42 PM

I had a TAh 1/4/08 and 1 week a go on 10/17 the did a lap/open removal of the ovaries and tubes- what a train wreck he called it- 4+ hours under general- I feel like crap look like I am 5 months pregnant- my belly is lumpy( under the belly button) and heavy and swollen- yuk my cysts 9 months of them rupturing were 9X14 on each side last week
Unread 10-27-2008, 06:21 AM

Oh my gosh, you're only 21 and you've gone through all this already?? It's so tough being a woman. This is the start of week 10 post op for me and I'm really getting better as the weeks go on! Thank GOD! It's a long process, but I'm a lot older than you! God bless you and good luck in your recovery. Firefly
Unread 10-27-2008, 10:51 AM

Thanks!! I apreciate it!! Its ben extremely hard on me cuz even my own mom don't know what I'm going through!! And I know I don't know a whole lot but this has ben so hard on me! And for awhile I just tried to ignore it but I have to deal with it! But its hard! And I miss my period! I'm soo jealous of all my friend who r havin babies even tho Noah is still my baby! I had him sept 24 and had my hyster oct 5! Been crazy and very stressful! And I still find myself goin in the bathroom to make sure I'm not bleeding again cuz I started hemmorghing after having noah! Had to have 17 blood trans! But srry I'm blabbing!!
Unread 10-27-2008, 10:57 AM

BLindz07- wow only 21 and so smart- except the period thing- you will love that those are gone- and love that little man with all that you have I know how hard it is to do this- and have a little one- but its worth it in the end- you will be a healthy mommy to Noah- what a great gift!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hanhg in there and LISTEN to your body- another great thingto learn when you are so young- most of us are way older...smile and are just learning that now...sad face!
I am here if you want to talk!!
Candace

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.