HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Breast Health

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Thickness found in left breast Thickness found in left breast

Unread 11-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Unhappy - Thickness found in left breast Thickness found in left breast

Well, I'm back. After having a hysterectomy in 2001, I found this site and found wonderful support and now I am faced with a new challenge. Went to my GYN for normal check up and she found some "thickness" and cystic change in my left breast. She ordered a diagnostic mammogram and I called as soon as I got into the car. The girl said she has an appt. on Wed. at 2:40pm. I showed up and they said I was not on the schedule and pulled my name up and found it on Dec. 10 at 2:40. Someone definitely screwed up. With the holiday coming up, they don't have anything earlier than the 9th, so I took it. Wow! I have to wait almost 3 weeks. Is that crazy? Is it ok? I have never had anything in my breasts before, kind of scared and wish I could have the test tomorrow. It will be hard to wait. Any support will help!!
Unread 11-21-2008, 01:59 AM
Thickness found in left breast

Hi It is very common to have fibrocystic changes in the breasts post- hysterectomy, and usually it's absolutely nothing to worry about. You might pick up a copy of Dr. Lee's book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Breast Cancer" (which is not just about cancer), which has some good information about how progesterone can help with fibrocystic breasts.

It's a good sign that they're not rushing you in this week for the diagnostic. Sounds like they are just dotting the i's and crossing the t's. Try not to worry too much about what will very likely turn out to be nothing.

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-21-2008, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the encouraging words, I do wear the Vivelle Dot, I think it is only estrogen. One of the side effects is lumps in the breast. Wondering if that is why I have the changes. Started wearing the patch one year ago after my last check up when I told her I was waking up many times a night in puddles. If she wanted me to get in right away, would her office have called? Do you think I should call the office and tell them how long I have to wait. I guess others are having to wait too. Oh so many things racing thru my mind.

Thanks,
Kathi
Unread 12-11-2008, 11:51 PM

Hi Kathi, I hope all is well for you. I don't want to sound alarmist but please ask your doctor to order an ultrasound as well. I had BC 4 years ago and as my tumour was not a lump it wasn't picked up on the mammorgram but was with the ultrasound, my doctor always orders both to be done for all her patients now. The ultrasound is what saved my life.
Sharon
Unread 12-11-2008, 11:56 PM

Hi again, I forgot to say my tumour presented as a " thickness" which was the only way I could describe it..
Cheers,
Sharon
Unread 12-12-2008, 08:06 AM

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for replying, actually I just had my diagnostic mammogram AND ultrasound. When they finished the mammo, the doctor was pretty sure they were just cysts, but squeezed(no pun intended) me in to do an ultrsound. They found three or four cysts. I talked with my OB/GYN last night and she said she wants to watch them and will re-exam me in three months. I think we are on this, I feel much better, but am concerned as two nights ago, my daughters best friend passed away, recurrence of breast cancer and one of co-teachers will pass away any day now. So sad. I am glad you are doing well and thanks for your concern!

Kathi

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.