HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

CT Scan Contrast Making Me Sick Is This Normal CT Scan Contrast Making Me Sick Is This Normal

Unread 12-20-2008, 08:55 PM
CT Scan Contrast Making Me Sick Is This Normal

I had a CT scan yesterday afternoon..they had me drink a liquid as well as IV contrast. I have felt sick to my stomach all day and have felt horrible. Is this normal and if so what can I do to make me feel better? If not please don't let me be getting the flu before Christmas as well as surgery the day after. I am so afraid to take my pain meds even because I don't want it to make it worse...but I am hurting. Any info would help out greatly. Thanks
Kelly
Unread 12-20-2008, 10:02 PM

dear kelly...did you drink just one liquid prior to the scan? as far as i know it is not normal to feel sick with a stomach ache the day after a scan, at least i didn't and my 83-yr. old dad didn't feel sick.

sorry i can't help you except to advise you to phone the technician, pharmacist, or someone on your medical team and ask. i hope you haven't come down with a stomach virus. they always advise one to drink lots of water after the scan to get the stuff out of your system. they also ask if you've ever had a reaction to the contrast...i wonder if that's what it is? hope you start to feel better soon...don't suffer though, phone and ask about your stomach ache and also whether you should take your pain meds.

take care and let us know how you are.
Unread 12-21-2008, 03:54 AM

I am also wondering if it is the contrast rather than the liquid... they always ask, and although I have never had a reaction, the sensation I had last time was worse than the first one...
You can always develop an allergy to something... I was never allergic to bee stings but I am now.. I also would ask the people about your symptoms ASAP.. No need to suffer if a shot would make you feel better.
Unread 12-21-2008, 08:05 AM

Hi Kelly - I drink the 'pond scum' and often can't even finish it because I know I will throw it all up.(It is an iodine based solution, called Gastrografin. ) For the rest of the day, and sometimes into the following day I feel sick and nauseated and have diarrhea. This happens only when I have to drink the kool-aid type stuff. One of the facilities where I go has a smoothie type concoction, either banana or wild berry, and I do much better with that. You might check at the facility where you are getting your scans and see if they have the barium based smoothies instead of the other solution. I also read that whole milk has been shown to be almost as effective as the barium, but it is a relatively new study so I doubt many places would be willing to try it.
Unread 12-21-2008, 08:27 AM

I drink the barium-based smoothie and it gives me a bit of diarrhea, but it generally goes away in an hour or so.
Unread 12-21-2008, 12:39 PM

Thank you ladies. I am feeling better today. I am alergice to Betadine and told them that and they stated that I should be okay...the test itself went fine. Yes I did have to drink the koolaid type stuff as well as have the IV solution. I just feel quezy and naucious. Am trying to push fluids but it is hard when you feel like if you drink anything it will just ocme up. I am wondering if it could also be the mass pushing on my insides causing some stuff tooooo. Although I wasn't feeling this until after the scan. I go for my preop on Monday so will ask the Dr. then..surely I will be feeling better by then..if not I don't know what it could be?
Unread 12-21-2008, 01:39 PM

Hey my sisters,
I had my Ct with contrast this past fri 12/19/08.They only gave me a full cup
of water and the contrast thru my IV. They told me it would feel like I was having a hot flash, and surprising enough it was like a hot flash. Maybe it was the type of contrast you had. I was told my was a clear liquid contrast,
but I was also told to drink lot of water to flush it out of my system. It did not make me sick.
Unread 12-21-2008, 04:07 PM

I actually had to drink a lemon flavored contrast enhancer and then they also gave me the intravenious contrast. The radiologist stated the lemony stuff was to enhance the photos the help the images. I did feel the flushing part...pretty weird and yes it did feel like a hot flash and soon passed. My problem is the nausia and feeling like I want to throw up.
Unread 12-23-2008, 09:03 PM

The doc thinks that it is the pressure the mass is pushing onto my stomach that could be possibly making me feel sick...I also had the lapband and that restriction along with the mass can't give me much room...so it wasn't the contrast after all.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.