HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Has anyone tried DIM-di indole methane? Has anyone tried DIM-di indole methane?

Unread 04-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Question - Has anyone tried DIM-di indole methane? Has anyone tried DIM-di indole methane?

I have been doing a lot of research on alternatives to HRT and the reasons behind the growths of fibroids. My understanding is that fibroids feed off of estrogen and most women have "estrogen dominance syndrome" with the groeth of fibroids, endometriosis and ovarian cysts. If this is the case then why is the "cure" to supply the body with more estrogen?? Just a thought!
My reason for this new post is that I have been researching DIM-di indole methane which is a supplement that is made from cruciferous vegetables and is supposed to help with controlling the estrogen levels, PMS, menopause symptoms etc. Has anyone ever heard of it or tried it? Thanks!!

Surgery scheduled 4/29/09
Possible TVH-depends on how much endometriosis is found, definite uterus removal from fibroids, 4 miscarriages, 3 preterm births, bicornate uterus, DES daughter (WOW-all this written out really puts it in perspective!!)
Unread 04-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Re: Has anyone tried DIM-di indole methane?

I am confused by this statement " If this is the case then why is the "cure" to supply the body with more estrogen??"

I have always been told the opposite. I thought the goal was to NOT pump estrogen in to the body if you had endometriosis?
Unread 04-17-2009, 10:44 PM

I know and that is why I am confused in the treatment-many doctors prescribe the pill for endometriosis-and others will prescribe progesterone only such as depo provera. I guess I am looking for answers to why estrogen is prescribed for us who obviously have too much estrogen going through our body? I do not get any answers except you have to take HRT after a total hysterectomy, or you have to take hormones to shrink these fibroids and stop your body from making the lining of the uterus- arent the hormones causing the problem???
My understanding with the DIM is that it helps to regulate all the hormones in the body and works on men even who have issues with estrogen which can cause enlargement of the prostate. So anyways-hope that explains what I said!
Unread 04-18-2009, 10:14 AM

Have you done a search on hystersister for DIM? Surferbabe (hostess) has lots posted about DIM. I googled DIM and found some good info.

DIM helps the body from making the "unhealthy" estrogen. I tried taking it twice. I can't seem to tolerate it because it throws off my hrt balance. My insomnia and sad moods return immediately. But my husband takes DIM...he doesn't feel any difference. But I still think it is a great supplement to take....Wish I could take it...
Unread 04-18-2009, 11:53 AM

I get it now. In my case, I had both ovaries removed because they were diseased, so that removed my estrogen with them. But now, I am on a low dose of estrogen. HOPEFULLY it won't be enough to make the endo grow again. But, we just don't know. In my case, I am taking the estrogen for the long term health benefits.

I get what you are saying though. I think it just makes it that much clearer that we have to be our own best advocates when it comes to our health. I know I drive my crazy when I walk in with my internet print outs, LOL...

Unread 04-18-2009, 01:51 PM

I think that bcps are used as a sort of starting point for many doctors. I agree with LookingforaSis. We are our own best advocates, and you are wise to look into options that complement what your doctor thinks is best. I am with you. I would not take bcps to treat anything that fed off of estrogen.
Unread 04-21-2009, 10:40 PM

Thank you for all the information!!! I get frustrated with the doctors when they try to dismiss questions and concerns.... one of my fears is the weight gain and the doctor dismissed and said-whose to say that you wouldn't put weight on in the next few years anyways?? Which is not an answer- I know how my body has reacted to hormones in the past like the Pill- and it did NOT like it! In high school my periods came every 2 weeks and i became anemic and they put me on the pill to regulate my cycle and I blew up so quickly-my chest was enormous (big boobs are overrated!!) and I put on at least 10 lbs in that month I was on it-pregnancy was the same way I put 50 lbs on with each of my kids and lost it quickly after-so I really don't want to mess with hormones if I don't have to!! So thank you all for the answers and I know that I need to stand up for myself and be my own advocate.... 7 days and counting until my surgery...4/29/09!!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.