HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Can you still get Fibroids after a hysterectomy? Can you still get Fibroids after a hysterectomy?

Unread 04-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Can you still get Fibroids after a hysterectomy?

I'm 6 months post op (tomorrow) and the pains I was having prior to surgery is creeping back. They are no where near as severe and not as common as they were, but never the less, they've returned.

I had a LAVH and my left ovary and fallopian tube removed, the pain is on the lower left side where my fibroid(s) were (they were on my ovary and uteran wall)

Has anyone ever heard of this before? Wonder if that's what it is or something else.
Unread 04-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Re: Can you still get Fibroids after a hysterectomy?

To the best of my knowledge with a hyster there is no chance of a return of fibroids.

I hope it is nothing!
Unread 04-21-2009, 02:38 PM

Well, I do know from personal experience that you can get cysts on your ovaries after a hysterectomy (I still have both ovaries).

I had one rupture 3 months after the hyst. I also am still very much so struggling with those darn things.

Now, I do not know about fibroids. I had those also but had them embolized, and some were still present when I had my hyst. within my uterus. I didn't know you could get those outside of your uterus.

I'm wondering if maybe you have a cyst?
Unread 04-22-2009, 08:45 AM

Yeah my surgical notes said it was a fibroid (well there were 2 of them that I had removed 2 different surgeries)

surgery A - had a cyst on my left ovary removed and a fibroid from my uterian wall

surgery B - was my hysterectomy - removed uterus, cervix, left ovary and left fallopian tube. Was a Fibroid involved in there somewhere too.

The pain is where it always was on the lower left side.

Already had CT Scansssssss (plural) ugh.. I hate those things... and a colonoscopy 2 months ago that was clear. What else is there??? weird!!!
Unread 04-22-2009, 10:31 AM

Greycat12

It is possible for fibroids to return following a hysterectomy and, unfortunately, we have a few members who've experienced this.

Since my one and only enormous fibroid was growing off my cervix, and I still have my cervix due to complications, I've been warned of the possibility of another developing. However, as far as I know, it's rare and only possible if the cervix is retained. (Personally, I've not heard of fibroids growing on ovaries ~ only cysts).

As you no longer have a cervix then, as far as fibroids are concerned, you shouldn't have anything to worry about ~ hopefully.

I hope you find an answer, and solution, very soon!

Unread 04-22-2009, 10:43 AM

I watched a video of a LSH where they used a morcellator to remove the uterus and the Dr. in the video said that they had to make sure they removed any/all pieces of the uterus because even if there is just a tiny piece left behind fibroids can still form on it. After he removed the uterus he looked around and found a few small pieces that had to be removed as well to prevent future fibroids.

So, yes, it is possible, but that may not necessarily be what's happening in your case.
Unread 04-22-2009, 11:17 AM

So if you have kept your cervix, there is a possibility of growing fibroids back. Can these been seen during a yearly exam, or is an ultrasound the only way to confim that fibroids are on the cervix?
Unread 04-22-2009, 07:59 PM

Hello,
During my pre-op appointment my surgeon did say that if any pieces of the fibroid were left behind after morcellating (cutting the uterus and fibroid into pieces before removing), then there was a chance that new fibroids would grow from those pieces.

Unread 04-22-2009, 09:24 PM

Ugh!!!

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

Guess I'll keep an eye on it a little longer and if it doesn't go away I'll schedule an ultrasound. It's not problematic yet, just a little uncomfortable. Nowhere near as painful as it was before my surgery, hopefully it will stay that way!!!
Unread 04-29-2009, 10:44 AM

Had some pains this morning that reminded me of "the olden days" This stinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.