HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Anyone have never-ending diarrhea? Anyone have never-ending diarrhea?

Unread 04-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Anyone have never-ending diarrhea?

Hi! My surgery was April 13th. Per everyone's suggestion, I started taking fiber, coffee, etc. for a BM on Wed. Thursday, my battle with diarrhea began and has not ended. I'm eating very bland foods (rice, toast) and really want a Big Mac!!! But every day, I still have it, even with taking Pepto and Immodium. I contacted my doc, and he says as long as there is no blood, it's o.k. If anyone else out there is suffering like this, I feel your pain! When will it end???!!!
Unread 04-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Re: Anyone have never-ending diarrhea?

I have IBS (w/diarrhea) so I feel your pain. One thing that is a huge trigger for me, is drinking too much gatoraide and drinks like that. That is my suggestion to you...limit the amount of sugar intake in drinks. Also remember that the BRAT diet is Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. I hope that it helps and that you find some relief soon.
Unread 04-24-2009, 03:52 PM

I had my TAH on April 16th and still have constant diarrhea. I've tried watching my diet but nothing seems to help.
Unread 04-24-2009, 04:12 PM

i had diarrhea the first week or two also...but it eventually went away...

i had diarrhea before i ever got out of the hospital.....

hugs
jamesgirl
Unread 04-24-2009, 05:27 PM

I didn't have a BM for 2 days after my surgery (april 16th), then I thought I was gonna pass out when I did finally have one. I thought that was it, and wasn't surprised when I didn't go again for a few days cause I wasn't really eating either (very bad throat infection that spread all over my mouth). But, 2 days after that, it was bad bad bad.

Now, I've got really bad diarrhea which I think is from the amoxicillian they have me on. Though I don't want to go back to the slow bowels, I really really really wish I wasn't doing this too cause its pretty painful. I've dealt with Dairhea my entire life, it feels like, and though I've never been diagnosed with IBS many doctors have suggested it. But this time, it just feels different. worse. Its been 3 days now. And I'm not really eating anything still, so its got to be the antibiotic for me. Or at least I hope thats the cause.

So I totally feel your pain and frustration. I hope it gets better for you soon. I too would love a big mac, or a fudruckers burger... but aint no way! LOL

Valeri
Unread 04-24-2009, 08:51 PM

Thank you all so much! Your replies have helped!
Unread 04-24-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValeriGail View Post
I didn't have a BM for 2 days after my surgery (april 16th), then I thought I was gonna pass out when I did finally have one. I thought that was it, and wasn't surprised when I didn't go again for a few days cause I wasn't really eating either (very bad throat infection that spread all over my mouth). But, 2 days after that, it was bad bad bad.

Now, I've got really bad diarrhea which I think is from the amoxicillian they have me on. Though I don't want to go back to the slow bowels, I really really really wish I wasn't doing this too cause its pretty painful. I've dealt with Dairhea my entire life, it feels like, and though I've never been diagnosed with IBS many doctors have suggested it. But this time, it just feels different. worse. Its been 3 days now. And I'm not really eating anything still, so its got to be the antibiotic for me. Or at least I hope thats the cause.

So I totally feel your pain and frustration. I hope it gets better for you soon. I too would love a big mac, or a fudruckers burger... but aint no way! LOL

Valeri
Valeri,

If the diarrhea started after you began taking the amoxicillin, you should probably check with your doctor or pharmacist. That could be a serious side effect, and it may be that they would tell you to stop taking it. Ongoing diarrhea can be dangerous, so I would get it checked out and soon!
Unread 04-24-2009, 09:59 PM

I had my gallbladder removed the same day as my hysto. I'm running to the bathroom several times every morning before I go to work. And then again after every meal. It's very frustrating and exhausting. On top of everything else, I haven't even lost any weight! LOL!
Unread 04-26-2009, 08:25 AM

I was prescribed augmentin (penecillin) yesterday and the doc warned me it could give me 'the squits' (his words not mine).

Today my constipation has changed to more like diarrhea and my bottom is sore - will be glad when my intenstines are working normally again.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.