HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bladder prolapse What type of Dr. do you see Gyno Or Urologist? Bladder prolapse What type of Dr. do you see Gyno Or Urologist?

Unread 07-01-2009, 07:29 AM
Bladder prolapse What type of Dr. do you see Gyno Or Urologist?

4 years post-op, complete hysto w/ ovaries removed, took Hormone therapy for only 6 months.

Recently I discovered horrible pelvic pain, I kept thinking i had a urinary tract infection. Not once did the Family Physician think anything else? All came back negative. I finally had to request that they look down there....as the pain has been horrible. They discovered my bladder prolapse. They did a CT scan, and while laying down they said my bladder was only slightly distended! Well obviously they don't know what it feels like standing, a CONSTANT sererated knife pain.

My question is, we don't have a Uro/gny Dr. in this area, What type of dr. should I go see now? A urologist or my gyno?

I feel frustrated and angry that my Family Dr. acts like this is a walk in the park. The pain came on sudden and fast, and it's getting worse.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially what type of Dr. I should go to have this treated CORRECTLY and give me some relief. Thank you!
Unread 07-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Re: Bladder prolapse What type of Dr. do you see Gyno Or Urologist?

How frustrating for you! I think it might be worth it to go to both your GYN and also then go to a urologist and see which you feel more comfortable with. I was fortunate to be able to use a Uro/Gyn. As this problem really straddles both the GYN and the Urology fields you may find their approach varies a bit. I know that I had been seeing both and GYN and a Urologist prior to this and they really tended to look at things from quite different perspectives.
Unread 07-01-2009, 07:50 AM

Thanks for your reply, i just wasn't sure where to go next, i guess I will start with the Gyno. I just feel that they are not acknowledging how painful this is. I have read where some women do not feel the pain, but oh how this is just non-stop and awful. I do not have the incontience either that so many do with this problem.....thanks again i appreciate your reply.
Unread 07-01-2009, 07:56 AM

I also did not have incontinence and everyone acted like that was "strange." I too was in pain with my bladder prolapse and again I kept hearing about women who were way worse than mine who really didn't have much discomfort. I guess it just goes to show we are all really different. Obviously I don't know your doctors but I would have gone with my GYN if I couldn't have used a Uro/GYN. My urologist is a man and totally not a sympathetic type person. I do think that you need to feel good about your doctor, so if this GYN isn't right then try someone else. Bladders are tempermental after being "messed" with so you want someone who has a track record doing this procedure. I wish you well as you journey toward healing!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.