HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Questions about intubation Questions about intubation

Unread 04-23-2009, 07:43 AM
Re: intubation...during surgery....what's that???SCARED

Hi,

If you are going to be under a general anesthesia, it will put you in a very deep sleep that will even cause you to quit breathing on your own. For this reason, we are intubated and put on a respirator.

If you sing, you will want to tell the anesthesiologist so they will be extra careful of your chords. If you have asthma, you will want to tell them so they can remove the tube slowly to prevent an attack.

I woke up without even so much as a sore throat But I do know that a sore throat is common and usually nothing to be concerned about.

and Best wishes,
Kay
Unread 04-23-2009, 04:51 PM

Intubation may have a scary ring to it, but as everyone has said, you are out cold and not aware of it. I was intubated for gallbladder removal and then this surgery: the first time I had a slightly scratchy throat, and this time I had nothing.
Unread 04-23-2009, 05:16 PM

Hi heart_teller

You can add me to the list of people who didn't even have a sore throat afterwards. I have reflex as well and was also concerned about this.
Unread 04-23-2009, 05:20 PM

Hi, I was intubated for my hyst and woke up in recovery with it, but my oxygen levels kept going low so that is why I woke with mine and had it for at least six hours in recovery. There was another woman who had a hyst and the same thing going on with her breathing in the recovery area next to mine. For some people it takes longer for the anaesthesia to get out of their systems, and both me and the woman next to me had long surgeries (over 7 hours). Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that the nurses will have your morphine (or whatever your doc uses for pain) going right after you wake up, the intubation is no big deal BUT you cannot speak, that's the toughest thing to deal with. Also, having that darn thing taken out is not pleasant because they have to be very careful and it takes a moment or two for it to be removed. Just try to follow their directions (I tried and couldn't do what the nurse told me to do, she still got it out fine). Anyway, I had no soreness whatsoever afterward. Best of luck to all you ladies in waiting, try not to worry about this too much, it's not that big of a deal and you'll do just fine!
Unread 04-23-2009, 05:28 PM

Of course I was intubated during my TVH, twice, because I had to be rushed back into surgery because of a hemmorage, but I didn't even wake up with a sore throat.
I would have never even known it happened.
Don't even worry about it !!!!
Unread 07-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Re: Questions about intubation

I was intubated during surgery but had massive complications and was in surgery all day (went in at 9am.. woke up 8pm). I woke in ICU with the tube still in and frankly.. it was horrible. I couldn't breath on my own but was freaking out and trying to pull the tube out I was gagging.. after 15 min the nurse took it out and I nearly vomited as she did it.. just horrible.. frankly I'm still pretty upset about it and suffering from some depression as I get flash backs to when I was in ICU even though only in there for 2 days. I very much doubt a regular procedure would require you to have it kept in - it seems kinda rare from what I've read. I just had more complication sadly.
Unread 07-17-2009, 07:03 PM

I have been intubated for a gallbladder surgery, one c-section, and two D&C's. I also have acid reflux and have never experienced the sore throat. I just hate it because I have asthma and wake up with very junky lungs.
Unread 07-17-2009, 08:38 PM

I do not know if I was intubated or not. I had an LSH, and had general anesthesia. If i had it, it sure didn't leave an impression. I was "out" from 9AM until 11AM. Woke up in recovery, my cath was removed 10 minutes later.
Unread 07-17-2009, 09:17 PM

No sore throat but I did have a small scratch under my tongue and on my cheek which I did not have prior so I assume must be due to intubation procedure. I dunno what was up with that. No acid reflux either, and I am usually the reflux queen. The first thing that went through my IV though was famotidine (Pepcid) for acid, and sounded like a routine drug that they give.
Unread 07-18-2009, 12:50 AM

I've been "tubed" every time I've had surgery and my only problem has been a slightly sore throat. (This is weird) I have an extra bone in the roof of my mouth that feels like a slight bump and if I don't warn them, they scrape it.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.