HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Is it normal to have period-like cramps 3 weeks after a hysterectomy? Is it normal to have period-like cramps 3 weeks after a hysterectomy?

Unread 04-23-2009, 07:38 AM
Re: Is it normal to have period-like cramps 3 weeks after a hysterectomy?

I am 3 wks post op - TAH (kept ovaries). I too am definitely having the menstrual-like cramps. My bladder is working fine, but the cramps are kicking butt. Thank you ladies for letting me know i am not alone.
Unread 04-27-2009, 09:12 PM

I was beginning to think something was wrong w/me. On 3/26 I had a TAH/BSO and have had period-like cramping.
Unread 07-21-2009, 08:20 AM

I am 5 weeks post op, and the last few days have felt like that. I just looked at the calender, and I would be on day 4 of my period right now. Yesterday was the worst, and day 3 for me was always my worst day...I am not liking this. I do have one ovary. I am hoping this is just temporary, as I had a large lump of endo removed from my abdominal muscle three years ago. I am scared that even though there was no endo seen when I had my hysterectomy, there could be more inside the ab muscles.
Unread 07-21-2009, 11:17 AM

I think the period like cramps they were talking about is just after the hyst. in general, not at a specific time of a period (unless maybe we've overdone it and it's coincidental timing or something, I guess.) I do know that ovulating can cause pain, especially close to surgery, which five weeks still has lots of healing going on in there.

Take care,
Unread 01-02-2010, 09:00 AM

I had a total on 12/21/09. On NY eve I had severe cramps like PMS. Then I wake up this morning with a period! What is going on? I never cramped like this before. Glad I didn't thow away my Pamprin.
Unread 01-02-2010, 11:22 AM

I am having the same issue. It is BAD, I hurt so bad, the cramps are horrible. I feel like crying. I feel like there is something hurting horribly in my vagina that i want to die. I do not want to go to the hospital, I called the doc on call the other day and he said that a office visit would be best. This was not my doctor either. I am scared and I feel like I am going to croak. I hurt VERY BADLY
Unread 01-02-2010, 12:11 PM

Im 10 days out from DVH/BSO.. foggy still so I think its 10 days. Im having the menstrual cramps as well. not as bad as they were before but noticeable as this week is my period week. my mom had a total hyster when I was 2 (26 yrs ago) she said she continued to have the period feeling monthly for a couple of years.... as long as it doesnt get as bad as an endo period pain Ill manage but not happily
Unread 01-02-2010, 04:08 PM

im 6 wks post op and getting period cramps must be normal
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:37 PM

I know this thread is old but, I am too, having severe cramps but they are localized to the old uterine spot on on my sides..
I cannot believe this! I truly though the hysterectomy was my "cure all" This really stinks......
Unread 03-23-2010, 09:39 PM

I am a week and half out from having my hysterectomy. Thanks to everyone who posted on this topic. My cramps are so bad, I was beginning to think something was wrong. Looking forward to some relief. Cramps and back pains hurt so bad. I am using a heating pad to help with the pain management. Walking seems to help a little. I was told that the cramps could be associated with the swelling. Blessings to all.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.