HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Bacterial Vaginosis Bacterial Vaginosis

Unread 06-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Bacterial Vaginosis

I have read several threads on this subject, but they're all several years old; I thought that maybe there is some new information out there in Hystersisterland.

I was diagnosed with BV a couple of months ago; I had the burning and that horrible odor reminiscent of a latrine. I was prescribed Flagyl, and that seemed to take care of it.

I think I have BV again because I smell that smell.

I'll go back to the doc and see what she has to say, but I would love some advice before I go...

I have a kidney disorder, and I take cyclosporine which is an immunosuppressant. I have read that bolstering your immune system can help keep BV at bay, but the last thing I want to do is bolster the very immune system that is attacking my kidneys (I have an autoimmune disorder).

I have also read that eating yogurt can help restore the PH balance in the vagina, but I cannot eat yogurt because it is too high in phosphorus (kidney patients have to avoid excess phosphorus in the diet).

I feel pretty screwed.

Is it worth mentioning more...uh...mechanical treatments like applying yogurt internally ( I have read in previous threads that a douche of warm water, yogurt, tea tree oil and lavender oil may be helpful)? Do any of you have any experience with effective alternative treatments?

FYI, I have no ovaries and am not on HRT. I don't want to go on HRT just because of BV because other than the BV, I'm doing very nicely almost 8 months post op.

I'm just worried that this BV is going to plague me for a long while. If it is caused by an imbalance between good/bad bacteria in the vagina due to an abnormal PH, then nothing is going to change that abnormal PH balance unless you do something to correct it, right?

I already have to deal with one chronic condition, and I sure do not want to have to deal with another...

Thanking you in advance for any thoughts/advice.
Unread 06-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Re: Bacterial Vaginosis

EnglishLavendar -

I hate to hear you are having these issues.

I had 3 yeast infections, 1 bacterial vaginal infection and a UTI.

I started taking a bunch of probiotics, not necessarily yogurt but the tablets. What I read was you should look for one that has multiple types of bacteria. I've used Culturelle, Naturelle and I can't remember the other type. I just recently picked up Rephresh Pro-B but haven't started using them yet. They have like 4 different bacteria in them. I read an article where somehow they can migrate into the vagina....don't even want to think about how!!

The other thiing you might want to do is check into vaginal estrogen, that could keep things healthy down there. Once I started using the probiotics I saw a change and I went on vaginal E (estrace).

I tried the Rephresh capsules that you insert vaginally to rebalance the ph but it was when I was going through all my infections so it wasn't working right for me and I am paranoid to try it. It seemed like when I tried it I ended up with an infection

Anyway I've been infection free for a couple of months now.

I hope you find what works for you.

Hang in there!

G.
Unread 07-01-2009, 09:18 AM

Thanks for that. I have a drs appt later today, and I am going to ask about alternative methods such as the ones you've suggested.
Unread 07-01-2009, 09:40 PM

I take some form of probiotic at least 2 times a day anymore if not 3x. Usually you see you have to get several million "cultures"

I hope you find what works for you.

G.
Unread 07-10-2009, 11:50 PM

Hi

I may be teaching grandma to suck eggs on this one, apologies if this is the case. It is important to avoid all perfumes soaps and bath products; they can cause and aggravate the condition. You may be best not to add any product to your bath water and to use pure olive soap or something similar. Only wear cotton underwear, (not just knickers that have a cotton gusset. Does not use fabric condition on your knickers (try and use an extra rinse program). Avoid heavy yeast type products e.g. Marmite. Hopefully this may help, stay safe and best wishes for your health. Peggyegg
Unread 07-15-2009, 03:49 PM

I DO avoid perfumed soap and bath products, which is a right pain because I have a shedload of the stuff. I've worn nothing but cotton panties for as long as I can remember. Good idea about not using fabric softener; I hadn't thought of that. Wouldn't touch Marmite with a ten foot pole! LOL! Thanks for that!!
Unread 07-15-2009, 04:27 PM

i had a problem with yeast infections and bv after my surgery. diflucan for 6 months took care of the yeast. i'm not sure exactly what stopped the bv, but i did use a ph corrector. i also started taking acidophilus capsules every day, no perfume detergent and used metrogel.

i assume when my ovaries werent working at 100% right after surgery, it started the problems. i know its very frustrating and for me it was sometimes painful (very bad burning).
Unread 09-05-2009, 04:10 PM

I've been dealing with a very different scent and discharge since my hysterectomy which was wow, almost 5 years ago.

I've taken to purchasing the rephresh kits and the vagosil ph test kits. What I think is happening is that now that I don't have my uterus, my body isn't cleaning itself like how it used to, add to that that my husband and I have unprotected sex, semen can easily upset your PH balance.

Since I've never been able to get good answers from my doctor on this one, I just did a lot of research. Things definitely changed after the surgery and I don't regret it for a second but the annoyance of what feels like permanent BV (though I have no itching/burning/pain) I take it as having been assigned a new vagina. It is just different than it was before and that is something that takes getting used to.

If you other ladies still have these same issues, try taking one of the home tests to see what your PH levels are at and then use the rephresh inserts. Keep in mind that they seem to collect everything that is inside of you (skin cells and such) and glob them together. You then get a very solid white discharge for a day or so after and then you'll begin to feel rephreshed!

I hope this helps as it's something that I've been dealing with for a very long time!
Unread 09-13-2009, 05:16 PM

I too have noticed a different discharge since my surgery. It is yellow sometimes and has a different odor. I thought it was because hubby and I were having sex again and maybe the left over semen was still stuck up there? But that was like a week ago, and I still see the yellowish discharge on the panty liner. I have no other symptoms, no burning or itching or anyhting. I had no idea I would still have discharge after the surgery...on the bright side, at least i still have moisture down there....I will have to try those Rephresh inserts you have mentioned...what is that exactly? Are they all natural? Are they like a douche?
Unread 09-13-2009, 06:40 PM

The rephresh is like a gel. It's a tiny tube full that ou squeeze in. You will get big white chunks of discharge. It makes all the "stuff" inside of you clump together and then work its way out.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.