HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Endometriosis Support

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

What damage can endometriosis do to your internal organs if left untreated? What damage can endometriosis do to your internal organs if left untreated?

Unread 09-09-2009, 07:37 PM
What damage can endometriosis do to your internal organs if left untreated?

What damage can endometriosis do to your internal organs if left untreated? I was just diagnosed and I'm not sure what stage I have, but I am trying to look at other options. My doctor is suggesting a total abdominal hysterectomy, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for something that drastic yet. I'm 37 so I will have to continue to suffer painful periods with heavy bleeding, but if I tough if out and wait until menopause will the endometriosis go away?
Unread 09-10-2009, 05:16 AM
Re: What damage can endometriosis do to your internal organs if left untreated?

I have heard it can damage other organs.

My understanding is yes, it often goes away after menopause. But my doc explained to me the catch is that it can often come back in a year and a half to two years time. (I have already had 5 laps)

What has your doc said about Lupron or BCP's?

It's alos ok to get a second opinion. ♥

Good Luck
Unread 09-10-2009, 05:46 AM

I was diagnosed with endometriosis about 10 yrs ago. I was on a great treatment for 2 then off it for 6 months and back on for 6 months. It was depo-lupron. This is different from the depo-prevara(sp?). It was wonderful. I had no periods, no pain, had to take HRT, a few hot flashes, but it was awesome. I got off of that the last time and had a marena IUD placed which worked for almost a year (after the last lupron injection it was placed.. so very little periods). Then it eventually came time to have TAH. You should get a second opinion. I will tell you that I have a high tolerance for pain, and the pain would be unbearable at times. When they did my TAH there was alot of clean up to do from my endometriosis, and my ovary was attaching itself to other organs. Before I found the MD that I had in SC for 7 years I was virtually in pain constantly, but he got me on a good regimen of the proper meds, hormones, and kept up with my progress very well. I had colposcopies on a monthly basis before that ( not fun ). Having my TAH was the best thing I could have done.
Be mindful of how your body feels on a daily basis - keep a journal
Research all of your options
Talk in depth with your MD about your feelings before you make any decision.
Good luck.
Unread 09-13-2009, 09:58 PM

I was 37 when the told me my body produced endometrios, and yes it does become very painful. At 42 I also had a laps. I had on my lower abdomen an area that was very painful they thought it was a hernia, it ended up being endo. And yes my doctor advised me back then to get a full hysterectomy, but I was not ready, This year I told him to schedule me and not to scare you but, I had cancer in my uterus walls, which he had told me back then that endometriosis can become cancerus...I was very lucky that I decided to do the operation whenI did the Doctor did scold me for not listening to him sooner...So please listen to your doctor, get a second opinion, do research...But don't let it go to long. I also think I made a very good decision in getting the operation...I feel so good, no more pain, no more periods...

Good Luck...with your decision
Unread 09-13-2009, 10:26 PM

I too felt like I didn't want a TAH. I was 25 when my Dr told me it was the only solution. 25 years ago there didn't seem to be as many options as now. I opted to wait. I spent 2 years with a lot of pain and the bleeding got worse. It finally got to the point that the bleeding would last 3 weeks, give or take. Having sex got so painful I could barely tolerate it. BMs were painful. Sometimes even sitting down in a hard chair was painful.

When they went in the first time my bladder was tangled up in endo as well as some intestinal involvement. I had an enormous cyst on one ovary and lost it with my uterus. The second time they went in to clean up I lost my other ovary and my appendix had to be removed as the endo had attached itself and had strangled my appendix.

In the end I was glad I had the TAH. It does seem it can continue to advance quickly and the pain does get hard to take after awhile. I think I made the right choice for myself.

Good Luck with your decision. It's a tough one!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.