HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bladder what happens after a hysterctomy Bladder what happens after a hysterctomy

Unread 09-18-2009, 07:29 AM
Bladder what happens after a hysterctomy

I didnt do any research before i had my hysterctmoy on august 13th now i am doing the research, and i am really nervous about what happoens to my baldder now that my uterus is gone there is an empty dspace there ans the bladder sat on it so what the heck is holding it up now.. and she took my cervix and that was at the end of the vagina so what is that going to do.. is that going to cause pain with sex.. i had no time to do any research and i am so mad that i didnt cause after reading all this bad stuff i would not have done it. i would have suffered every month.. so what happens to outr bladder is it just floating there. is it going to fall as we get older.. im scared over this.. anyone what to answer this about the bladder and the cervix.. i dont know why she took that.. she said i just didnt need that too.. but my reading that you need that for sexual response too.. arggggg i feel so stupid.

alisa
Unread 09-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Re: Bladder what happens after a hysterctomy

Although I am not having my cevix removed. My dr told me that your other organs feel in the empty space after time. Don't be afraid you are going to be alright.
Unread 09-18-2009, 07:54 AM

sooo it will sit on my vagina o my gosh this is not sounding right to me.. i wish i asked so many questions.. y did i do this
Unread 09-18-2009, 09:38 AM

livestrong, i am pre-op and posted a similar thread a few days ago asking about keeping my cervix or not (if it looks ok of course). i had the same concerns--bladder support and sexual pleasure without the cervix. i got several responses from women who are post-op and they all said that they have had no bladder issues or problems in the bedroom since removing their cervix. someone also posted that they tack down your bladder during surgery and i'm gonna ask my doctor if this is the way he does it also. they also posted the drawbacks of keeping the cervix---possibility of still getting cramps during that time of the month, light periods, still needing pap smear, possibility of endometriosis growing back on the cervix, etc. i know everyone's experience is different but hope this helps. it helped me with my decision but will still definitely discuss it all with my doc.
Unread 09-18-2009, 10:23 AM

I do not have my cervix anymore & everything is fine. Sex for me is the same (actually better because the pain was from my cervix). Your bladder may move into a different position but it is not just floating. It is hooked to urethras. I am sure you are going to be just fine.
Unread 09-19-2009, 11:01 PM

I had my Da Vinci hysterctomy on August 19 and have had tons of bladder issues. It hurt very badly in the hospital with the catheter, especially the last 3 hours, and I was OK at home on all those strong meds the first week. After that, it was horrible, was going to the bathroom every 5 to 12 min sometimes, maybe 60 times aday. Now, I can make it two hours but still have a lot of pain there and can't make it thru the night.

I am definitely getting better on that front, though other areas are bothering me more than I hoped.
Unread 09-20-2009, 09:13 PM

I am having a TAH leaving ovaries, taking cervix. I have the same concerns, I havent had much time to research at this point. I certainly hope this wont affect relations with my husband to a great degree...
Unread 09-21-2009, 07:03 AM

Livestrong -

You should talk to your doctor about what s/he intends to do as far as vaginal vault and bladder support.

The intestines especially will shift, the bladder may a bit but it does have other muscles supporting it. Your vaginal vault should be attached to the ligaments / muscles that supported your uterus and that should also help provide some support to your bladder. As noted your Dr. might do some tacking for additional support to your bladder.

Take a deep breath.

G.
Unread 09-22-2009, 07:06 PM

Hi Sisters,

This topic really hits home for me. I had everything removed but my cervix on 9/3/09. I am having pain within my lower part of my pelvis as I urinate, especially at the end or urination, it feels like the muscles used to push are causing pain. I have this fear that its scar tissue or maybe some other bladder problem. Has anyone experienced this urinary muscle type pain?
Unread 09-23-2009, 05:19 PM

I am having the same issues with my bladder- pain at the end of urination. I was given antibiotics for a UTI the first week after leaving the hospital because of the urgency and burning, but now it is just the pressure I am feeling even at 4 weeks post op. I am worried as well. Anyone have any answers?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.