HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Alternative to Bladder Sling? Please Help! Alternative to Bladder Sling? Please Help!

Unread 09-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Alternative to Bladder Sling? Please Help!

Hi,
I am scheduled for a partial hysterectomy, anterior and posterior repair, and a bladder sling for Oct. 8th. I will be 35 on the 4th.
I told my dr. that i do not want the sling due to the possible problems. I had horrible issues with my IUD...
Anyways, she wants me to go in to speak to her about it before cancelling.
I am also getting a second opinion next week.
I have some leakage issues, but not bad, only when jumping on the trampoline or something equally as active. I am able to work out with weights and run on the treadmill without issues, so i dont think i need the sling. The dr said that if i dont do the sling, the repair surgery would not hold up as much.
From some posts that i have read, once the prolapsed uterus was removed, the leakage had stopped.
I will not change my mind about the sling, but are there other options for me other than surgery?
Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Unread 09-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Re: Alternative to Bladder Sling? Please Help!

Are you concerned about the sling itself or the procedure? If it is the sling maybe the surgery could be done differently. I forget the name but it is an open incision and considered the gold standard. It involves sutures not implants. Good luck
Unread 09-10-2009, 06:10 PM

I am glad you are getting a second opinion. I never had leaking prior to my removal of my uterus and yet they told me I needed a sling. Well now my uterus is gone, but my bladder has fallen again! I am doing kegels to strengthen my floor muscles in the hope that I will prevent another surgery. Also I read that removal of the uterus should not be done unless there is a pathological reason. I would check out "paravaginal repair" If the reason is for prolapse, then my question is why remove the offending organ when technically they need to address the support system, being the ligaments etc.. Check it out on OBGYN.NET/

Oh and now that my bladder has fallen at the end of the day, I need to hover over the toilet just to pee! I never had that before!

All the best and good for you for questioning and researching! We need to be 100% positive going in and get the answers we need and find out if indeed it is the best route!

Keep us posted

Hugs,

Janet
Unread 09-11-2009, 05:10 AM

What type of bladder sling is your doctor recommending for you? I ask because an anterior repair is a type of surgery to support the bladder already. Some doctors put in a sling for the anterior repair; some doctors 'just use stitches' to do this colporrhaphy. Is the sling she is referring to a second sling to support the urethra (which is the neck of the bladder) or is it to further support the bladder for the original anterior repair?

This is what you need to find out. Bladder slings for anterior support are much larger than ones for urethral support (TOT, TVT). Both types can erode especially when made out of polypropylene mesh. I had that complication and had 3 surgeries to remove my large, anterior bladder sling. I still have my smaller TOT sling that has not shown any sign of erosion (knock on wood!).

I would not get either kind today. If given any choice, I would have a biological type put in me; preferably of my own tissue (autologous).

Yes, there are options other than surgery, btw. You can do kegel exercises, to strengthen the vagina. You can also have pelvic physical therapy which can help. Neither of those methods are known to be as successful as surgery but they can help.

Best of luck to you! Sending many +++ thoughts and good vibes.........
Unread 09-11-2009, 05:24 AM

Thanks for posting that. Now I get why my bladder is falling. My gyno told me that they did a uretha sling (monarch). Now they new my bladder and uterus were both falling so?

I guess I am glad in some ways as I am not to thrilled thinking about the possibilities of erosion etc. and when and if I see another surgeon or two at some point I will be much more informed!

Knowledge is so huge! The phrase "heal thyself" is really so important and kegels are my therapy currently.

Hugs,

Janet
Unread 09-11-2009, 11:30 AM

I am concerned about the sling itself. I believe it is the one that supports the urethra. My dr. gave me a pamphlet from the company that she is getting the sling from. I looked them up on the internet and found that they had recalls on their slings back some ten years ago due to all the women who were badly damaged because of erosion, etc., along with multiple pages of women explaining their horrible experiences.
I have an appointment to see my dr. next Wednesday. I also have a second dr. looking at me on the very next day.
I have been doing kegals and i can already tell the difference in my urine stream, i am able to control stopping and starting...i know(too much info) sorry.
Thanks ladies for your advice, i really appreciate it!
Unread 09-11-2009, 11:46 AM

You are asking valid questions. Many women have the slings without problems - but - more women than originally reported are having complications. Have you visited the bladder and pelvic floor forum. I'm sure if you post there you will be in contact with women in the same situation and those post surgery. Keep in mind many post op my be the ones with problems. This would be an opportunity to hear from the ladies with complications. You can also learn options and alternatives.
Good luck
Unread 09-19-2009, 01:11 AM

Has anyone mentioned the burtch procedure to you? I also had a cystocele and rectocele repair as well as the uterus removed (7/8/09). Unfortunately the burtch requires an abdominal incision, but after consulting doctors about the TVT and the burtch, my physician felt the burtch would last longer as he had repaired many slings, but had done burtch procedures over 20 years ago that are still effective. The recovery is a little difficult, but so far, has been worth it.
Unread 09-22-2009, 01:59 PM

Hi,
I am happy to say I got a second opinion, and he did not agree with me getting the sling at all or the anterior and posterior repair! I am scheduled for my partial hysterectomy in two weeks with him.
I am so glad I did get the second opinion, I REALLY like this doctor better, I feel much more comfortable.
Yeah!!
Unread 09-22-2009, 02:23 PM

I haven't had my procedures yet but I have urethral, bladder, rectal and uterine prolapse - all last wed.....

my gyno insisted on having a urogynocologist operate with him due to the many problems he has encountered repairing eroded mesh and the like... the urogyno will be doing all the bladder repair

because I also have issues with foreign bodies... my body rejects even vicryl and cat gut sutures (the ones that are supposed to disolve)... the mesh is not a consideration but sutures and we're talking great numbers will have to be used...

you may want to have your doctor recommend a urogyno to address any bladder problems as this is their area of expertise

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.