HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Perineal Scar Tissue Perineal Scar Tissue

Unread 12-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Unhappy - Perineal Scar Tissue Perineal Scar Tissue

I had a TAH and bladder suspension 8 years ago, and unfortunately have had to have TWO pelvic reconstructive surgeries to repair a recurrent cystocele, rectocele, and enterocele. My last surgery was May 27, 2009. This time, mesh was used so hopefully that will hold me for awhile. HOWEVER, after 3 episiotomies and 2 rectocele repairs, I now find myself having scar tissue buildup in the perineal area which is uncomfortable, but also makes sex VERY frustrating and not fun! It first became noticeable about 2 months after the surgery, and my doctor suggested the daily use of a vibrator since my husband was out of town for awhile. I faithfully followed her instructions, but it didn't do anything so she cut me in two places to relieve the band of scar tissue. I felt immediate relief, but the scar tissue began forming again. Now I also am having some stress incontinence that I did not have before this latest surgery. My doctor wants to do an outpatient sling procedure to correct that AND remove the scar tissue. I am really scared for her to keep cutting me down there. I feel like I am being mutilated and will never be normal again. Has anyone else experienced this and have any advice/suggestions? Please help@
Unread 12-25-2009, 06:30 PM
Re: Perineal Scar Tissue

I really don't have any good answers for you as I am
facing similar problems myself. I had TAH/BSO and
then serveral years after had a total pelvic repair (the works). I now need to have EVERYTHING done again and
I am scared to death!! I too have painful vaginal scars and
also nerve damage. I have been advised to have mesh
installed this time.
How was your mesh repair done? Did they put it in vaginally or abdominally? Was it just on top or on the sides? Is the mesh causing any problems or is it just scar tissue? What kind of doctor did the repair?
Sorry so many questions but I am trying to find out as much as I can before I have my next surgery.
I wish I could offer you some good advice.
Unread 12-25-2009, 07:37 PM

I am sorry to hear you are going through this difficult time. I can't offer much expect an ear.I am in the same boat with the scar tissue and adhesions.

Intercourse is just absolutely out of the question it is so painful, it has now been 6 months (3 before the last surgery and 3 after). I have had a deep epesiotomy and 3 reconstructive surgeries and completely share your sentiments on feeling mutilated. Every time I think okay this is it no more. I am going to see my doctor on the 5th.

Unfortunately surgery to remove scar tissue also causes it. I plan on asking a lot of questions about recurrence and barrier methods.

I think what makes it worse is it feels like such a lonely road. My DH understands as much as he can but cannot truly grasp how emotionally draining and depressing it is.

Wishing you well and a Merry Christmas.
Unread 12-25-2009, 09:06 PM

I am sorry for both of you being on this lonely road with me.

Nicole, did your rectocele repair improve bm function in any way?
Unread 12-26-2009, 02:20 AM

Yes it is so much better. I have to take stool softeners and regret it when I forget because it hurts then. But before I had to "splint" to have a bowel movement. I also had my 2nd bladder sling put in at the same time.
Unread 12-27-2009, 07:54 PM

As I said, I have had the total repair twice since my original hyst. This time the mesh was used, but I don't know where it was placed. I feel "secure" in my pelvic region for the first time in years. My surgery was done laproscopically by a uro-gynecologist in Houston. I am fairly certain that the reason my first "do-over" failed is because of chronic constipation that I experienced afterwards. No one told me that would quickly undo the repair work!! Now I take 4 PeriColace (laxative) tablets every night. I went to see a gastroenterologist after the 2nd total repair surgery because I could not have a bm and she told me to do what I had to do because I didn't need to have a third total repair surgery! Plus I have a "wavy colon" and she said between that and the rectocele repairs, I could eat a bale of hay a day and still not have a bm without straining.

As far as the scar tissue in the perineal area, I KNOW that more surgery produces MORE scar tissue, but I don't know what else to do. My doctor is confident that once the initial healing takes place, having regular sex and/or the use of a vibrator plus massaging the area can keep the scar tissue down. I just don't know what to believe. I am so frustrated and scared.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.