HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Do fibroids cause weight gain? Do fibroids cause weight gain?

Unread 02-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Do fibroids cause weight gain?

Yes, obviously if you have a large enough fibroid it's going to LOOK like you gained weight or are pregnant.
But I mean general fatty weight gain. REAL weight gain.

Do they cause you to be hungrier? Do you actual get fat BECAUSE you have fibroids?

I have gained almost 50 lbs in the past 2 years (right after I lost 60lbs!) and my fibroid symptoms started around 2 years ago...

Just curious as to what your thoughts are on this.

Thanks, girls!
Unread 02-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Re: Do fibroids cause weight gain?

UterusForSale,

I love your screen name! Great question, I've wondered myself. Here is my humble opinion and that's all it is, an opinion from someone who had fibroids.

From what I understand fibroids need estrogen to grow. The fact that Lupron (drug that puts you into chemical menopause) made my fibroids shrink considerably, tells me its true. I had bad PMS symptoms for 10+ years pre op, that tells me I was estrogen dominant. Seems right to me. Estrogen feeding my big, BIG, fibroids. The PMS from the estrogen dominance gave me an insatiable appetite that was a huge factor in my gaining 70 pounds in about 10 years. So I think, yes, fibroids indirectly are associated with weight gain. One of the environments that favor fibroid growth can also give symptoms that cause overactive appetite and weight gain.

Having been on HRT for 2 1/2 years I've been able to see the results of different combinations. As far as appetite is concerned, I am able to loose weight when my HRT is balanced. After I increased my amount of estrogen 18 months ago and didn't up my progesterone I was unable to loose weight after having lost 40+ pounds. It was frustrating, I knew how to loose weight, I was doing things right. Then I started having estrogen dominance symptoms again including the bad appetite. It became all I could do to not gain weight. I talked to my doc and he agreed to up my progesterone. Within two months I started taking off weight again.

This is just my experience and observation. Hope it helps.

Hope you get your fibroid removal approved!

Unread 02-27-2010, 07:09 AM
Re: Do fibroids cause weight gain?

HI UFS, Last night Dr Oz had a show on hysterectomies. He showed huge fibroids, he said that the blood flow to the fibroids cause them to get larger which leads to water retention and weight gain. The good thing is that he also showed that there is an instrument that they used to kill the blood supply going to the fibroid thus causing them to shrink. You might want to consider this option. Good luck

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.