HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Natural Meno Post Hysterectomy - Kept Ovaries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Ovestin? Risks and drug interactions. Ovestin? Risks and drug interactions.

Unread 03-14-2010, 04:38 AM
Ovestin? Risks and drug interactions.

Hi - I'm a newby from Australia. I'll paste in what I wrote for my intro (at the end of this post), so that people can see why I'm here.

I'm not 100% comfy with starting Ovestin. I've read more since joining here and I found out that the issue with anticonvulsants (carbamazapine) and Ovestin is that the Ovestin might not work so well. I think from what I can tell (gee this information is hard to take in) the recommended application isn't a very high "dose" of Ovestin (twice weekly for six weeks, and once weekly thereafter).

I don't have high incidence of breast cancer in the family, so I'm not greatly concerned about that risk in my case. We do have some heart issues in the family but I would have to say most families do.

I decided to start the cream. Doesn't mean I'm bound for life. ... So starting tonight. Ready set go.

I'm still interested to hear from anyone who has good or bad experience of Ovestin. I'm premenopausal and experiencing some vaginal bleeding caused by atrophy.

I'll keep gathering information. I have to follow up with the gynaecologist in six weeks. If I get too worried earlier, then I'll ring him.

Cheers
Shylark

-------------------------------
Hi - new here

I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago. I am now 49 and I'm told there is some vaginal atrophy because my remaining ovary is "fading". I had a couple of bleeding episodes about a month ago.

I feel confused about HRT. I was prescribed some Ovestin cream and directed to use it twice a week for six weeks and then once a week after that. I have a follow up visit with the gynaecologist after the six weeks, but I need to ask him more before I start.

I didn't ask enough questions at the time and I need to think through what I want to know from the doctor, so that I can ring and ASK. I've got the "stuff" and I feel unsure about using it.

1. I take anticonvulsants - tegretol and lamictal - and I've read that tegretol is incompatible with Ovestin. But I don't know what the issues are with taking these meds and using Ovestin.

2. I know there are a range of risks with HRT. I didn't realise it applied to the creams as well. I suppose I would like to know whether twice weekly application is considered light useage.

3. I don't know what else. I'm 49 and I think I've tried to pretend menopause away. Some of what's going on here is reality shock and I'll have to suck it up and deal with that.
Unread 03-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Re: Ovestin? Risks and drug interactions.

Hi Shylark! I'm in Australia too (Melbourne). I had a tvh last June, kept ovaries. My doc prescribed Ovestin too. In my case to help prevent vaginal atrophy, and by doing so, also to help with bladder health, and to help prevent osteoporosis. I'm 56. I'm currently using the Ovestin twice weekly (when I remember!).

I think if you are taking anticonvulsants and you're not sure about drug interaction, just get on the phone and ring your doctor. Don't wait until your next appointment. Most gynies don't mind being rung. If he/she is not available then they will ring you back. This is the simplest way to give you peace of mind. Failing that, then ask your GP. Just ask, darling. It's the simplest way!

I've found the ovestin cream very useful.
Unread 03-24-2010, 04:29 AM

Thanks Nichola. I'm from Melbourne too. Thanks so much for replying to my post. I'm very pleased to hear that Ovestin is working out for you.

I did some more reading and discovered that the Ovestin might have it's effectiveness reduced a little bit by the anticonvulsants. Not so worried about that. I would be more concerned if the anticonvulsants don't work.

I decided that I would go ahead with the first six weeks of using the cream. (Ooh, tonight's the night. Better not forget.) There's some vaginal atrophy and there's been a little bleeding because of that. After agonising (probably unnecessarily), I thought I should trial it. Seems to me I will gain information from doing that.

The gynaecologist is a gem. I know I can ring him any time I need to. The man held my hand when he did a curette 6 years ago. Literally held my hand until I went under. We had appointments before the hysterectomy where I asked endless questions. I cried one day and he insisted that I stayed until we had talked about everything that was worrying me.

I think I freaked when I got the cream script. Wouldn't even get the script filled for a few days. I'm more settled about it now. It really is good to hear from you and to know I have a Hyster Sister in Melbourne.

All the best. Your operation is more recent than mine. I trust it went well. I've never regretted it.
Unread 03-26-2010, 08:17 AM

Hi Sisters,

I am from Melbourne too. I've been using ovestin for a little over 3 years now for the same reasons as you Nichola.
I am really happy with the results of it though sometimes I get a lttle itchy externally.

I also started using Sandrena gel (bioidentical but still on prescription) several times a month for hot flushes and sleeplessness. I also dread the potential health risks but my gyn assures me that they have been overblown and related to combined hrt.
Unread 03-26-2010, 05:18 PM

Thanks Susu. I really appreciate hearing people's experiences. So far so good here.

Big Melbourne influence going on here.
Unread 04-20-2010, 07:20 AM
Ovestin. 6 WEEK UPDATE

Hello All

I've now been using Ovestin for 6 weeks. I decided to go ahead and see if it fixed the atrophy. It seems to have worked very well and so now I can just use it once a week. I'm much happier with a once a week application.

I don't seem to have had any bad effects from it at all.

My doctor said it would not cause any problems with other meds that I take, which is a relief to me.

Good health everyone!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.