HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Do adhesions show on ultrasound, ct scan, mri, etc?? Do adhesions show on ultrasound, ct scan, mri, etc??

Unread 03-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Do adhesions show on ultrasound, ct scan, mri, etc??

Hi all. I have had 2 laparotomies, 3 laparoscopies, total abdominal hysterectomy in 2007. Most recently had left ovary and gall bladder removed Aug 2009 along with a TON of adhesions. 7 months later I am in pain again. I am hoping its just adhesions and not my right ovary, appendix, etc. I need to make an appt with my OB again.

My question is, do adhesions show up on ct scan, mri, or ultrasound? is there any way to diagnose them without surgery? i want to know what is wrong but do NOT want surgery again unless absolutely necesary.
Unread 03-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Re: Do adhesions show on ultrasound, ct scan, mri, etc??

In a word, no. They don't. The only exception may be that sometimes if they are binding the bowel in a certain position and it's kinked and staying that way, that may show up on a scan and it might be conjectured that it's adhesions causing it - but there is no way to be 100% sure without surgery.

Have you tried consulting a surgeon who specializes in pelvic pain and/or adhesions, or perhaps a gyn/oncologist? (Gyn/oncologists are trained in removing cancer from all over the pelvis, and removing adhesions can require those same skills.) As you probably know, surgery for adhesion removal tends to cause more adhesions, setting up a cycle that I'm sure you don't want any part of.

s,
-Linda
Unread 03-24-2010, 02:10 PM

knowing more surgery = more adhesions is why i want to stay away from surgery if possible. i just want to make sure that is all it is. if its just adhesions not damaging anything, or something else causing problems i can deal with the pain.
Unread 04-01-2010, 06:04 PM

I have just had a CT for abdominal pain and the CT showed up adhesions between the signoid colon and bladder, although the whole of the abdomen has them, but they are quite significant the ones that showed up.

If the docs have reported adhesions at previousl surgeries then you will still have them and possible more. What did they say when you had your surgeries?

Sammy

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.