HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Natural Meno Post Hysterectomy - Kept Ovaries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Testosterone Converting to Estrogen? Testosterone Converting to Estrogen?

Unread 05-30-2010, 05:04 AM
Testosterone Converting to Estrogen?

I had my levels recently tested and the test revealed that my progesterone was okay, estrogen a tiny bit low, but my testosterone was practically non-existent. So, I have been using compounded 2.5% testosterone cream. I can't say that it has done much for my libido or dry skin and hair but it has greatly improved my fatigue and depression. I am noticing that I'm getting some bloating and fluid retention much like I do when my estrogen level gets too high. Can testosterone convert to estrogen and should I try decreasing my estrogen dose a bit? I'm currently on what some would consider a high dose of estrogen. .1 Viville + .375...2 patches. Any advice? My doctor just tells me to tweak it as I see fit but the testosterone is new to me and I'm not sure what to do with it. Oh, by the way...I'm post menopausal...had a partial hysterectomy way back in 1995 but it caused my ovaries to shut down early. Thanks!

Tami
Unread 05-31-2010, 02:10 AM
Re: Testosterone Converting to Estrogen?

Hi Tami There are two things you could try - of course, not both at the same time, or you wouldn't know which one had what effect.

One choice is to decrease your estrogen dose. That might help with the bloating and fluid retention, but wouldn't do anything for your libido. In fact, it might cause you to convert more of your testosterone to estrogen.

Another option is to try an aromatase inhibitor, even a natural one like diindolylmethane (DIM). It prevents you from converting the testosterone to estrogen. When I started taking it, I had to stop using testosterone and increase my estrogen dose because I was no longer converting my testosterone to estrogen.

Above all... change only one thing at a time, and keep good notes about how you feel. Being systematic about it can help you find balance more easily.

s,
-Linda

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.