HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Be careful with sunflower seeds- these are phytoestrogens and competes with your own Be careful with sunflower seeds- these are phytoestrogens and competes with your own

Unread 09-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Smile - Be careful with sunflower seeds- these are phytoestrogens and competes with your own Be careful with sunflower seeds- these are phytoestrogens and competes with your own

I just have to figure out this hormone puzzle the hard way !!!!! don't I

Yesterday I had what I thought was a meltdown.
Yes, some stress started it but I realize why I have had hot flashes all night long last night when I haven't dealt with those for a while...

I got on a nut kick.
I bought a bulk bag of sunflower seeds and consumed large amts of them since Monday. Turns out they are phytoestrogens. I cannot even tolerate soy anymore as it competed for estrogen receptors . Apparently so did the nuts.
Wonder why I have been hot flushing, hot flashing, feeling slightly teary all the time , didn't sleep worth crap.. It occured to me today to look up on the internet phytoestrogens. Trying to figure out what I did since Monday that kicked these problems off in a big way....
I ate handfuls of them thinking they were going to help me being high in omegas oils . probably are, but my body cannot tolerate much phytoestrogens. If you are having balance problems look into what you are eating. Alot more foods than you think are phytoestrogenic in nature and can block your bodies source of estrogen or the estrogen you take.
I feel a little better today but whew. those hot flashes, being hot and cold all night and restless that was a nasty reminder of what I used to deal with. Google phytoestrogen plants,,foods, herbs and you will be shocked what actually has an effect on hormones. Most drs. I bet, don't know about that effect....... I'm guessing....
Unread 09-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Re: Be careful with sunflower seeds- these are phytoestrogens and competes with your

Glad you figured out the problem. Hope things get better for you.

Unread 09-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Re: Be careful with sunflower seeds- these are phytoestrogens and competes with your

Thanks Suzy Q,
I didn;t have any more hot flushes/flashes after stopping consumption of those nuts. I have not been able to eat soy either, same effect.
Unread 09-25-2010, 10:10 AM

Wow--that answers one of my questions--has no idea edamame would hit me' so hard
Unread 09-28-2010, 07:47 PM

Wow! I didn't make the connection! I knew I felt "bad" when I ate soy, so stayed away from it. This past year I have been eating alot of sunflower seeds on salads, and I've been trying to eat trea nuts for their protein. After half a year, I quit eating them as they seemed to make me more constipated. After I quit eating them, I did actually notice my flashes lessened. I couldn't figure out why in the world they would make me hot, but now I understand.
Unread 09-28-2010, 09:52 PM

Not one Doctor that I know would have ever given me the right advise about soy and nuts--that's crazy! Don't you think?
This wonderful site has straightened out my silly "know it all nurse" deal--I learn everytime I visit the wonderful sisters site--I love you all--sure will miss those edamame beans --won't miss days of hot flashes!!!
Unread 09-29-2010, 05:33 AM

yeah they don't tell u these things. I thought about them possibly being a phytoestrogen so I did some reasearch and I was right. No wonder I felt terrible.
I knew soy was but wasn't completely knowledgable about the sunflower seeds, its one of the top 5.
Do a google search and type in phytoestrogens or foods that are phytoestrogens you will be amazed/maybe even shocked. I consumed them in large quantities for a day or two. (I like the taste), grab a handful here and there during the day as a healthy snack and that is what happened!. I have not had hot flashes hot flushes like that for a long time until I ate those. Maybe if one would just eat a tablespoon or two you'd be fine.......
Unread 09-29-2010, 11:20 AM

Since my ovaries are gone, I will keep tabs on how all that goes. I love sunflower seeds, but will be cautious & aware of how that goes.
Unread 01-11-2011, 12:22 PM

Amar,
thank you so much for the info. I originally read this pre Hyster and more or less forgot about it. I started the Special K diet yesterday which went well food wise but had a horrible night last night with sweats and insomnia. I have been doing really good for about 4 weeks now. I woke up wondering why it had been so bad and there was just a little niggling idea at the back of my head about your sunflower seed story. I looked up this post and sure enough there was the word "soy" which is a BIG in the Special K protein stuff.

Thanks to your post I will not suffer through the next 2 weeks blind to the reason I feel bad. I have suspended the idea of the diet...LOL

Tracy
Unread 01-11-2011, 04:06 PM

glad to help. do a search for phytoestrogens you may be surprised at what is considered one.
I had no idea that sunflower seeds were. 2-3 years after the hyst I couldn't tolerate soy any more. It seemed to block my own estrogen.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.