HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Vaginal PAIN...after overlapping sphincteroplasty and rectocele repair Vaginal PAIN...after overlapping sphincteroplasty and rectocele repair

Unread 09-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Cool - Vaginal PAIN...after overlapping sphincteroplasty and rectocele repair almost 6 months since surgery for rectocele...still having a lot of vaginal pain

i am almost 6 months out from a rectocele repair and an overlapping sphincteroplasty..

my anus is doing just fine....... but my vagina still is in a lot of pain....

i am not entirely sure what they call this surgery i had...but basically what they did was cut from my vagina to my anus and sew my anus back up with the muscle overlapping and inside my vagina is an actual seam like a ridge..the whole length of my vagina.. additionally they raised my perinieum area.. i spelled that wrong i am sure.....but too tired to remember the right way to spell it.....

my vagina rarely lubricates anymore.... my husband just about kills me any time we've had sex.... (all three times since the surgery which was March 11th)

and all three times i have had some sort of spotting...

i went back to the doctor a week ago Friday...... and i was told everything had healed and looked great.... that the seam was normal and would always be there etc......

although it has gone down a lot since i was first allowed to have sex..... back then there were still really stiff stitches in it from top to bottom....... i am surprised they didn't poke my husband during sex.....

we use a lubricant during sex........

i was told at the visit prior to this last one where everything was perfect and normal and all hunky and or dory .....that i had a lot of scar tissue and that i was tighter than before ....... so i suppose this is still the problem

i'd like to find out what can be done about it?

and i'd also like to say i had a colpography spelled wrong too..... with my hyster last year.... but it didn't help the rectocele as my rectocele was much larger than my regular gyn realized it was... my uro-gyn sent me for a defacography spelled wrong too.... and they found that the rectocele was rather large... and they talked about doing the STARR procedure to reduce the volume.......

but decided on what they called a "traditional" rectocele repair with the overlapping sphincteroplasty as i was having bowel incontinence issues....

i have rarely had any bowel incontinence issues since then..

there have been a couple of times i have had to splint since the surgery...those only happening recently as i feel like pressure on the vagina like i have to poop but nothing will come out.......

i hated having to splint before..and am not thrilled to have had to do so lately....

i am going back to my colon-rectal doctor on Sept. 13th.... and will ask him all these questions then....

anyone else dealing with these sorts of issues after a rectocele repair? i swear my vagina is broken!

jamesgirl
Unread 09-05-2010, 05:10 AM
Re: almost 6 months since surgery for rectocele...still having a lot of vaginal pain

My incision is the opposite of yours, it is like a fold. The 2 sides of it that touch have white swollen areas. My surgeon led me to believe I was all healed in there too but of course I peeked before trying sex. I think that is why I get stabbing pain down there all the time.
As for lubricant I always felt it is sticky and makes it worse but that could be just me.
Unread 09-05-2010, 05:27 AM
Re: almost 6 months since surgery for rectocele...still having a lot of vaginal pain

I can't actually see my thingie thing........but that is what it feels like is a seam......

I guess we can try without lubricant but I just am so dry......

Thanks for the reply!

jamesgirl
Unread 09-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Vaginal PAIN...after overlapping sphincteroplasty and rectocele repair

well..my pain after the hysterectomy was NOTHING compared to this... and i thought that was horrible.....

i mean the pain was different like in my abdomen and stuff too and not just in my vagina... but....this is somehow worse

after 7 weeks out from the hyster..... i was able to have sex with only a little pain

now...6 MONTHS after the overlapping sphincteroplasty and rectocele repair...i am having a lot of vaginal pain still.. it hurts when i sit.. when i poo... when i have one leg up on while lying down on my side and the other one down.. (it feels like being stretched apart)

sex is EXCRUTIATING! we have had sex maybe 4 times after this procedure done on March 11th of this year......

and each time i was gritting my teeth!

so i went to the doctor about it in July....and he said if by my next visit i was still in pain...he might have to do another surgery....to explore for infection underneath the scar tissue etc....

well i saw him Monday...he said i have a LOT of scar tissue and it is not softening up.. so he recommended using vitamin e oil on my scar tissue in and around my vagina....

gotta go..hubby calls

will write more later.....

i might be back later...

oh and he still said if i wasn't better in six weeks...surgery time but the downtime would only be one day he said... i'd be able to drive etc......

hugs to all
jamesgirl
Unread 09-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Re: Vaginal PAIN...after overlapping sphincteroplasty and rectocele repair

jamesgirl--

I'm sorry to hear you are still having so much pain this long after your surgery. I do know from having been on this board for so long that it can take up to year for some women to recover from rectocele surgery (posterior colporrhaphy) and to feel more like their 'normal' selves. Yes, really--up to a year.

We always hope it isn't us but sometimes it turns out to be. You never know when it will be you that has a certain reaction to a certain procedure or not (or why?).

Some women seem able to get relief by going to pelvic physical therapists and have some types of scar or other massage that really seems to help. You may want to try that approach.

I do hope you find relief and help. You can try doing a Google Search here on the site (upper right corner in the blue rectangle) to see who else has tried what for your very problems.

Sending you extra good vibes.............
Unread 09-21-2010, 03:46 PM

Thanks OrahDeb

I have heard from one other woman saying that her rectocele and overlapping sphincteroplasty surgery left her in pain especially during sex for several months..... like she was cleared for sex in January and it took her til July for her to feel okay.....

Today I had not put on my vitamin e oil and went out to Aldi's. I bent over to pick something up in the car (while sitting in the driver's side) and felt a huge pulling/stretching sensation that was very unpleasant....

I have been very sore even though I came home and put vitamin e oil on my vagina.....

well thanks for writing to me
hugs,
jamesgirl
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Unhappy - Vaginal PAIN...after overlapping sphincteroplasty and rectocele repair Re: Vaginal PAIN...after overlapping sphincteroplasty and rectocele repair

I had the same surgery Jan 6 of this year, I cannot have sex it hurts so bad!!! I have went to the doctor, and he said that I have a neroma, open nerve on the bottom of the opening and that I needed a pain management clinic. I went there to have 5 injections of steroids, under iv sedation. To have absolutely no relief!!! I wonder if sex will ever feel good again. Between the hysterectomy and the cystocele and rectocele I feel that it just keeps getting worse??? What do I do next???

sms11699
Unread 10-25-2010, 02:33 PM

Wow, I am afraid now! I am 4 weeks post rectocele repair. My scar sounds just like your Jamesgirl. My rectum seems fine, I am able to sit pretty well. It is in my vagina that I am having issues too. I was curious what it felt like down there so just tried to put a finger down there. Oh my god, not only did it hurt but I couldn't even find the hole. There is hard stuff down there, swollen tissue, stitches, not sure. I didn't investigate long. I don't go to see the doctor until 6 weeks. I don't even want to think about sex. All this talk of months of pain is horrible! I am only 35 and feel like my body will never be the same.
Unread 10-25-2010, 03:24 PM

sms, i managed to have sex with hubby Saturday morning without too much pain...but he stayed really shallow..... i did manage to orgasm which was really nice..

but i still can't sit long..and i still can't walk long...and i still hurt......

i am not sure what...if anything can be done....

i had a procedure recently where the doctor looked at my vagina with some sort of scope while i was under sedation.. but i don't remember what he said afterwards... why i was still having this pain and i don't see him for another three weeks.......

shannon.. yes..i am sorry to tell you.. it has been hellish....

don't even try to touch down there yet though..you might end up infected..... but yes it is swollen and there are hard stitches and stuff going on at first.... you are a braver woman than me.. i didn't even begin to try to feel down there for much longer.......

but things are finally finally starting to improve some... some is all i can say right now.... i wish i could give you more hope......

hugs to ya'll

jamesgirl
Unread 10-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Angry - Vaginal PAIN...after overlapping sphincteroplasty and rectocele repair Re: Vaginal PAIN...after overlapping sphincteroplasty and rectocele repair

hi jamesgirl,

i tried to have sex this weekend for the first time in 6 months and it felt like a knife, it was excruciating!!!! Don't know what to do feel like my sex life is over at 42!!!!

Rectocele and cystocele sucks, but OMG so does this!!! CAN anyone help us????

sms11699

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.