HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN > Cancer: Stories of Courage

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Family History has me running scared Family History has me running scared

Unread 07-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Family History has me running scared

Hello All. I am 46 years old with a family history of cancer. My paternal grandmother died of breast cancer, my sister died two years ago of rectal cancer, another sister died this past April of ovarian cancer, and my mother died two days after my hysterectomy of lung cancer. It's been a nightmare. However, I do not regret my decision to have a hysterectomy AT ALL. During my second sisters fight, I was diagnosed with adenomyosis. I asked for a hysterectomy because I was tired of the debilitating pain and periods and i was running scared. He refused and offered me an IUD instead..stating that I was too young for a hyst. I did my own research and then scheduled an appointment with his partner and asked him to run several tests. After reading my profile, he immediately disagreed with his partner and ordered a series of tests: BRACA, Colaris, and Ca125. While the first two were negative, a series of Ca125s consistently showed elevated levels of cancer proteins in my ovaries. We have a 10 year old daughter and it was a no brainer for me. My doctor agreed and I had the surgery on June 1st. I had no time to recover as I had my mom's funeral to plan. I healed very quickly. My scars totally healed and I was pain free without pain medication and walking lightly on the treadmill within 10 days. My doctor said it was miraculous mind over body. Over the next two weeks, I had debilitating hot flashes with dizziness, tingling, headaches, and rollercoaster drops. My doctor prescribed an HRT patch and the next two weeks were fantastic. I had never felt better in my life. My mood was great and my libido was through the roof. I had to beg my husband to make love because it had not been 6 weeks, my doctor said "NO", and my husband was afraid he would hurt me, but i know he's glad we did. It was absolutely fantastic! 3 weeks into using the HRT, i got my mammo results which showed benign abnormalities. I wasn't taking any chances. I took the patch off immediately. My hot flashes, mood swings, insomina, tingling, and rollercoaster drops came back within 48 hours. I had been doing intensive research from day one so I knew it was time to try the natural route. I read a lot about resveratrol and decided to give it a try. I purchased Resevertral for Menopause, Biotin supps, and Calcium supps in addition to my already prescribed multivitamins and iron supps. My reaction has been good so far. My hot flashes are no longer debilitating. I still get them, but they are quite mild. I do not have anymore dizziness or rollercoaster drops, and I haven't noticed any hair loss (fingers crossed). I have also not experienced any vaginal dryness yet, but the crazy, hot libido has taken a rest. I hope to stir it up some time soon. I still have orgasms, but it has been difficult squirting. I had multiple orgasms and squirt episodes on the HRT but only orgasms now. My libido has definitely decreased, but i am still turned on by my husband so we continue to have great intimacy and sex. However, I will say that losing weight has been quite difficult. i can't seem to get past that initial 5lbs and ive been trying for two months. Usually, i can lose weight rather quickly once I focus, but it just won't come off this time. I want to lose 15lbs, but i just might except it and tone up instead of worrying about the weight. My husband loves my curves anyway. I am now going to find out if i can get a biopsy on the benign lymph node in my breast, as i am not quite sure how they know it is benign since i only had a mammo and no biopsy. I will keep you all posted on the natural supplements and the rest of my journey. I have gotten so much out of reading your posts and i only hope I can be as helpful to others as you all have been to me. TTYL.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.