HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hyster Sisters Extras and Add-Ons > In Search of Info/Support for .....

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Unread 07-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Lung Cancer

I am 10 years post-hysterectomy with ovaries removed (I was 40 at the time). Aside from some teenage experimentation, i have been a non-smoker. I was just diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer.

I mention this, because there seems to be some recent research that indicates that having ovaries removed when young can cause lung cancer. I see a bit of mention on this site, but not much. I am trying to raise the red flag. This development completely blindsided me and women who are now making the decision about whether to keep their ovaries (or not) need to consider this.

I remain upbeat, but want to save some women from this type of problem in their future!
Unread 07-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Re: Lung Cancer

I'm sorry to hear of your illness. Cancer is such shocking news to get, I'm glad you are able to be upbeat. Best wishes with your treatments, and thanks for the warning.
Unread 07-04-2011, 12:51 PM

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, and I appreciate you giving us the heads up. Could you please tell me a little more about the research (i.e., where I might find some online sites to read, etc.) I'm struggling with the ovary issue....to keep or not to keep. Thank you SO much and all the best to you.
Unread 07-08-2011, 08:14 PM

Here is a link to a press release from 2 years ago that describes the study (and includes the study name if you want to look at the scientific evidence).

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...Increases-Risk

I had no idea about this study until a few days ago. My mom caught a tiny mention of the increased risk in a small piece that AARP Magazine did on hysterectomies. It stood out to her given my diagnosis.

At the time that my ovaries were removed, it was a borderline decision for me. Strong family history of breast cancer and the doctor felt that it would decrease both my breast and ovarian cancer risk. Were I to make the decision again, I would definitely need to factor in the lung cancer risk. At the very least, some additional screening of women who remove ovaries should be done for lung cancer. Many tumors (mine included) do not show up on xray, only on cat scans.
Unread 04-25-2012, 03:29 PM

Thank you for this information - I, too, had oopherectomy with my LSH and 4 months later was STUNNED to be diagnosed with lung cancer. RIght now we are living in a medical apartment in Houston where I am undergoing staging and treatment at MD Anderson. Tomorrow is my biopsy.

I would love an update on how you are doing, many hugs and prayers. This is a terrifying journey for sure.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.