HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

I Need Advice! I Need Advice!

Unread 05-04-2012, 04:03 PM
I Need Advice!

Hello everyone! I am new to this site and after many frustrating hours of searching the internet, I have yet to find any helpful advice. After reading many of the posts on this site, perhaps someone has been in a similar spot and can offer me your experience or wisdom!

I am 52 years of age and for the past couple of years have had extremely heavy, long periods with large clots. My GP referred me to a gynocologist who did an in-office biopsy which indicated I had complex hyperplasia without atypia. She put me on progestogenapoxy 10mg for a period of 7 months at which time I had a D&C. The result of the D&C indicated that the hperplasia did not improve - there was no change.

Since the D&C, I have had no periods (its been 2 months), and I have been experiencing night sweats, hot flashes and insomnia. Is it coincidence or did the D&C put me into menopause?

The options that were presented to me were to stay on the prgestogenapoxy 10mg and be re-tested in 6 months or to consider a hysterectomy (she would remove the uterus, tubes and ovaries). She highly recommended to move forward with the hysterectomy as opposed to retesting every 6 months.

I have tried to find reliable information as to whether I should wait it out and see if it gets better, or to just have the surgery and get on with life. Does anybody have any suggestions or experiences similar to mine? Much appreciated!
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Re: I Need Advice!

Just playing devil's advocate here, but you mentioned she put you on hormones at the same time as the D&C (progestogenapoxy) and that was the time you started the menopause symptoms. I'd suspect the hormone and not the D&C. Do you have pain? You didn't mention any. If your problem was heavy bleeding and since the D&C your not bleeding, what is the reason your doctor wants to do a hysterectomy? A hysterectomy with ovary removal is not going to stop your menopause symptoms. I'm confused.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway