HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Emotional issues after first intercourse post-op Emotional issues after first intercourse post-op

Unread 05-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Emotional issues after first intercourse post-op

I had a total emotional breakdown last night after having sex for the first time with my hubby since my hysterectomy.... I just started sobbing because it reminded me that I am physically altered/incomplete now, and it really hit me hard. Has anyone else gone through this? Please tell me it will get better/easier? For the most part, I did the majority of my grieving between diagnosis and surgery, but this was a milestone that really affected me.

Hoping to hear from some others that I am not alone in this sense of "loss" and that it will improve.
Unread 05-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Re: Emotional issues after first intercourse post-op

I have felt like this too. I was really excited to have sex again. I was so disappointed with how the orgasm and the act itself felt, and I kept asking him if it felt ok, like the same as before. I feel so insecure about this aspect of the recovery. Like I'm missing something.
It has improved and I'm finding my new normal. I hope you will too.
Unread 05-07-2012, 09:35 AM

I just had the same thing happen to me. Everything "still worked", but I just had to ask if it was ok for him and if it felt any different for him. When he said "a little, but nothing bad" I started crying. I guess it hit me that I was "missing something". I'm hoping my emotions get into check as time goes on.
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:12 PM

I too burst into tears after having sex for the first time post-op. I think the flood gates opened after the stress of worrying about having a hysterectomy, then the recovery stage which was very much a roller coaster for me and then finally being able to have normal sex. I am 3 months post op now and sex is easier and better although I still get some pain in the lower abdomen if it's too vigorous. It's onward and upward, hang in there - things will get better.
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:51 PM

I also sobbed the first time we made love post op. I think it was a mixture of the stress, relief that it didn't hurt terribly and sadness that I would never be the same. I got sore quickly so we stopped. Since then I have cried a couple more times because my orgasm isn't as good anymore and I miss my uterus.

I'm finding recovery, both physically and emotionally, to be a very, very long process.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway