HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

LSH on May 16th LSH on May 16th

Unread 05-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Re: LSH on May 16th

I guess I wasn't clear on what my dr. said. When he first told me about the LSH and needing a week off of work....I told him I was just transitioning from one company to another. And...that I already had a vacation planned for June 9th - 16th. He said, "okay...let's do this next week!" (which would have been this coming week, but it didn't get scheduled until the following week)

He told me that I would be healed and feeling great by June 9th and I could go enjoy myself. That was his words. The nurse told me the same thing - but he told me that first. I would not just have taken her word for it, no. He specifically thought it'd be a good idea to do it before the trip so that I'd not have this bloated stomach and feel like crap.

I know everyone's bodies are different and every procedure is different and all of that...and that the chances of me not feeling great for the trip are there. I just wanted to reiterate what my doctor did indeed say.

Shelly - I am so glad to hear you are feeling great and healing great! I would love to hear your story. Is it on here?

Unread 05-06-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryDenice View Post
He told me that I would be healed and feeling great by June 9th and I could go enjoy myself. That was his words. The nurse told me the same thing - but he told me that first. I would not just have taken her word for it, no. He specifically thought it'd be a good idea to do it before the trip so that I'd not have this bloated stomach and feel like crap.
Over the years I've seen posts by many members who had LSH who were doing exceptionally well at 2 - 3 weeks post op. You may be well enough to take a trip in June, as your doctor suggests. Parasailing? maybe not. When your doctor examines you post op he will make the final decision based on how you feel and how your examination goes.

Best wishes.
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:10 AM

LOL - I probably won't parasail. That was just in my original agenda. I can just sit on the beach and watch my son do it. The biggest problem may be the trip there and back - the trip there will be at 3 1/2 post op.

I will talk to my dr. this coming Friday - when I go in for the pre-op visit (whatever that is) and tell him that I'm concerned that 3 1/2 weeks may not be long enough.

I could cancel the trip - but it would be a burden on my friend who I am sharing a condo with. We got a 2 bedroom condo for her and her two boys...and me and my son. So the expense is double. There is a HUGE group of us going - all staying in the same condos. So postponing is not an option. So...either I will postpone surgery, or I will see what my doc has to say about my concerns. Worse case scenario...I can pay my half of the condo and she and her boys can just stay there w/o us. We will play that by ear.

Has anyone ever experienced skin burning sensations w/ high estrogen? I know I'm estrogen dominant...but my dr. didn't say it could cause my skin pain.
Unread 05-06-2012, 02:13 PM

The trip might be doable. Be sure you stop every hour or so even if it's just to get out and walk around the car. While you're riding, be sure to wiggle your toes and rotate your feet at the ankles. It's important to keep the blood circulating so you don't encourage blood clots to form. Don't give up just yet.

I can't help with your HRT question as I can't take any hormones.

Unread 05-06-2012, 02:45 PM

That sounds like an amazing vacation. How many hours is the car ride? Any chance you could get airline tickets? Sometimes this far in advance they are cheaper. I know I sounded like a recovery downer the other day , but I have an update. I spent today at the emergency room and I have a very bad kidney infection. They think I got a UTI from the catheter 4 weeks ago and it went untreated and turned into a kidney infection. My post earlier where I told you how horrible I felt at 4 weeks, was due to an advanced untreated infection. Just wanted to let you know that in case I scared you!!
Unread 05-06-2012, 05:04 PM

I am glad you are on the road to recovery, Cathb.

I do not take HRT. I just assume I have higher estrogen due to the fibroid. I've read they are fed by estrogen. I had my hormones tested last summer and I was/am a little estrogen dominant.

I have horrible skin pain that comes and goes. I've got to where anything hot that touches me HURTS my skin...like it's scalded. I had MRIs in the past....bloodwork...neurological exams...etc...they could never find a cause. Told me it was anxiety...which I do have. I can understand burning sensations that came and go...but for heat to actually HURT me...I can't understand that. I was curious as to if anyone else on here w/ hormone problems has this symptom.
Unread 05-06-2012, 05:21 PM

Hi SherryDenise,
First, let me say, congratulations to you for taking the step to consider a hysterectomy. I had a LSH one year ago today, and it is the best thing I ever did. I had multiple fibroids that were causing so much bleeding that I was anemic, so we are having a LSH for different reasons. However, my sister waited to have a hysterectomy due to her fibroids, and if she were to do it now, it would mean a TAH, so, you go, girl!

I took an extra night in the hospital to get home, and with my belly binder, I was feeling much better by the time one week was up. I was itching to get back into bed with my husband by 4 weeks, which was when I got permission from my doc, and at 7 weeks, I had a knee surgery that I had been holding off on. The knee surgery recovery was much worse than the hysterectomy. All I can say is that life is SOOOOO good without my uterus! The stress beforehand was nothing like the relief afterwards.

I guess one question I might ask your physician is what happens if you run into a complication when you're on the road. Your doctor knows more than any of us. Whatever you decide, I hope that you have the same sense of relief on the other side of the operating table.

Good luck to you!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.