HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

WHY/HOW am I producing breast milk!?!?! WHY/HOW am I producing breast milk!?!?!

Unread 07-22-2012, 10:07 AM
WHY/HOW am I producing breast milk!?!?!

Hi All!

I've posted recently about having menopause symptoms even though I kept ovaries... I've seen 2 doctors and both did blood panels that they determine as "nomal" I KNOW I'm having hormone issues...and todays latest development confirms it.

My right breast is engorged with breast milk!! It's sore to the touch and I'm relieving the pressure by pressing the ducts. Obviously something is going on but it's not urgent enough to call my dr on the weekend.

So, anyone out there ever heard of something like this
Unread 07-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Re: WHY/HOW am I producing breast milk!?!?!

Hi, I posted about this a few days ago myself but never received a response so can only assume it isn't real usual, but definitely not unheard of. I am a little over two weeks post op and now when I should be having a response in my rear, my breasts let down and actually leak like I've been nursing a baby. I kept both ovaries, so wasn't expecting any extremes. Have just blamed all of my symptoms of menopause on maybe my ovaries in shock. I go see my doctor tomorrow so will know more then. Regardless, it wouldn't hurt to contact you doctor about your breasts, because from what I have read there are a number of reasons this can occur. Wishing you the best and will report back once I see my gyn tomorrow morning.
Unread 07-22-2012, 12:40 PM

I just wanted to see how you were doing! I would definitely contact the dr. tomorrow......

I suffered the first month-6 weeks after my hysterectomy with what seems to be my ovaries being in shock. I had wicked menopause symptoms which gave me a WHOLE NEW respect for every woman who has ever gone through it.

The only issues I have had with my breasts is a couple weeks ago. They seemed to have grown a cup size overnight and HURT. Even in a good tight fitting bra, I could feel them with every step I took. Then, out of nowhere, it just stopped. And all my menopause symptoms stopped.

I hope that you are able to figure out what is going on (with your doctors help). Please keep us updated.
Unread 07-22-2012, 03:58 PM

Hi, I was leaking milk and it turned out to be my prolactin levels. I have a small pituitary tumor. It is only a blood test so it doesn't hurt to ask them to check your levels. Hope this helps
Unread 07-22-2012, 06:35 PM

I second the high prolactin levels. This happened to me back before I ever had kids when I was trying desperately to get pregnant. No one knew why I wasn't getting pregnant until my breast started leaking. When they do standar hormone screenings, they don't normally look for prolactin levels. Mine were through the roof. It's easy to correct with a medication and you will have to have an MRI to rule out a pituitary tumor. I thankfully didn't have one. My elevated prolactin was caused by excessive tress.

If you are engorged (the breast being rock hard and super painful to touch) you may develop mastitis. If you develop a warm red spot on the breast and a fever you will have to be seen by a doctor right away. Mastitis is a nasty infection that needs strong antibiotics to clear up.

In the mean time, let hot shower water hit your breast and try to express some milk out to releave the pressure.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.