Cystocele and Uterine Prolapse Diagnosis: Pain? | Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cystocele and Uterine Prolapse Diagnosis: Pain? Cystocele and Uterine Prolapse Diagnosis: Pain?

Unread 07-31-2012, 10:08 PM
Question - Cystocele and Uterine Prolapse Diagnosis: Pain? Cystocele and Uterine Prolapse Diagnosis: Pain?

It has been a week since I was diagnosed with a cystocele and uterine prolapse. At first I was in a bit of shock because her suggestion for repair was a hyster and bladder repair at the same time.

I am 30 with one child. I didn't want more than the one, beautiful, amazing little girl I have, so the thought of no more children was actually not an issue for me. What I did feel, (and I wondered if anyone else feels/felt this way) was that getting my uterus removed was taking my womanhood.

The other thing that concerns me is the pain I am feeling. I have the normal symptoms that I believe anyone with this condition would feel (pressure, the feeling of something coming out of me), but I also have a great deal of pain as well. It is affecting my ability to care for my 20 month old, and am finding myself unable to care for her.

Did/Is anyone else experience/ing such pain with the same condition? If so, did you get the surgery/ies? If so, did it/they help?

I also cannot get in to see the urogynecologist for almost a month and a half, so they're suggesting I get a pessary. Did/Is anyone use/ing one of these, and if so, did it help with the pressure and/or pain?

Thank you,
Amanda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Re: Cystocele and Uterine Prolapse Diagnosis: Pain?

I had surgery in January to fix severe prolapse and had a bladder sling also. I sympathize with you regarding your pain. I lived with it for 8 months before I had surgery. It affected my quality of life and sex was so painful.. My prolapse was so bad that I couldn't hold a tampon in longer than 10 minutes before it was pushed out.. since surgery, I have regained my quality of life and sex it Soooo much better. I was active prior to prolapse and now that I'm on the road to recovery, I've gone back to the gym and rejoined my belly dance class. I would suggest seeking out a urologist/ gynecologist. They specialize in bladder & gyno issues. I didn't use a pessary, my surgeon didn't think it would do any good in my case.. Good luck & keep us posted!! Hugs to you!!
Unread 08-01-2012, 07:52 AM

Sorry you are going through so much at such a young age. I would try the pessary to see if it gives you some relief while you wait for your appointment. I have heard some women who said it helps and others it didn't work for. Please do see a urogynecologist that specializes in pelvic floor repair. Please come back and tell us the outcome of your appointment.

Like Gilmore, I couldn't keep a tampon in by the time I scheduled my hysterectomy. It was a relief to get the surgery done though recovery has been a bit rough at times for me but that is mainly due to my ovaries being removed.

Please keep in mind that during your recovery you will need help with your daughter. You will not be able to lift her for a minimum of 6 weeks post op. If you have a family member that is able to help out with cooking, cleaning and childcare it is great to make those arrangements in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2012, 09:37 AM

This just happened on Tuesday of last week for me. I was in an incredible amount of pain, enough so, that when I felt something drop (almost out of me, I can not only feel it, but see it with a mirror) I thought I was in labor. That in itself was freaky enough, but when nothing progressed like labor, I started thinking there was something else wrong. I don't know the "stage" of my prolapses, but it is something that I can ask tomorrow when I see my actual OBGYN (long story on that as well, but it wasn't *my* OBGYN that I saw).

My sister is an ER physician and is telling me that the pain isn't normal with what I have, so it's making me feel like the pain I am still suffering is abnormal or something. It's why I decided to reach out to others who may have experienced what I am going through, to see if maybe I'm not so crazy or making it up afterall...

Gilmore: I really don't know how you dealt with this for 8 months...I've only had it a week and know I can't do this for very long. The Urogyno appointment is not happening soon enough for me. Hence the suggestion for the Pessary. They're hoping it will help until I can get in. I haven't had a cycle yet, am not supposed to for another week, but I am having some bleeding on and off. I am not brave enough to try a tampon, because of how far the prolapses are out (and even the thought of sex makes me cringe right now, good thing I have a very understanding husband).

Molly: I have to admit that a small part of what upset me about suffering with this is that I still feel so young, and am only 30...

I had a pointless appointment on Monday and am going back tomorrow to try and get that huge mess fixed with my actual OBGYN. I do have an appt with a Urogyno, but the soonest they could get me in was over a month from now.

I have moved in with my mom for now, due to the fact that I can't care for her by myself at the moment, because I can't lift her without crazy pain and major pressure. I am a stay-at-home mom, and her primary form of childcare. The idea was to stay here until I can get the surgery and with the recovery because neither my husband or I am comfortable with me alone with her.
Unread 08-01-2012, 09:30 PM

I had/have this too. I had a huge uterus, fibroids and adenomyosis. As I was waiting for a Hysterectomy everything prolapsed and I have a cystocele. I got to the point where I could not pee and had to be catheterized. I tried to quickly switch from a reg Gyn to a Uro Gyno. They told me it would be 2 months at least. I could not stand to wait that long so I went ahead with the Hysterectomy. I now have to address the Prolapse and Cystocele. Things have improved with just a hysterectomy but I still leak urine and pee a little. My sympathies as it was very painful! They would/could not move my surgery up or combine them. I am not sure where I will go from here. I want to try Pelvic Floor excercises before mroe surgery. I'll see what the doctor says.
Unread 08-02-2012, 02:12 PM

Hi there, sorry you're having such extreme issues at such a young age! I just had surgery 6 weeks ago for bladder/uterine prolapse. Mine was 6 years in the making - it came and went but progressively got worse. I never had any pain. It was just majorly uncomfortable at times. Like walking with an egg or ball between my legs.

In May I told my doc I was ready for the surgery. She lifted my bladder back to where it ought to be (no sling or mesh), my uterus came out (I'm 3 years post-menopausal) and my ovaries stayed.

So far, my recovery has been relatively uneventful aside from the usual things pointed out in the Checklist. I have my checkup tomorrow and hope everything is where it's supposed to be.

Sending lots of (((hugs))) your way!
Unread 08-03-2012, 10:31 PM

Thank you so much, ladies, for listening to my pain (emotional, mental, and physical). It is great to know that there are other women out there that are going thru or have gone thru what I am going thru right now. I don't feel so alone.

I saw the urogyno today, *my* obgyn (side note: I my obgyn, I really made a mistake by being talked into making an appointment with someone else in the beginning. It would have saved sooo much frustration if I had just stuck with her) was able to get my appointment bumped up from Sept. 5th to today. He, the urogyno, is also telling me that I shouldn't be having pain. I'm like, okay, but I am...How do you explain to a man that you are having labor-like pains, when they've never and will never experience that kind of pain and pressure? He told me that every woman in the world, if he were to examine them all, would have some form of prolapse, so I am really no different than any other 30 year old...umm...was that supposed to make me feel better? Because it really didn't...

He fitted me with a pessary today, I go back to pick it up next friday. He wants me to try it for about 2 weeks and see if it helps. If it does, and I feel like I can deal with it then I'll go on using it until my prolapses get worse (I guess...because it doesn't fix anything, and I have to take it out frequently...so eventually my problem will get worse). If it does, and I don't feel like I can deal with it, we go for surgery.

When I first found out about getting a hyster, I freaked out...I don't know how strange this sounds, but, having the decision for surgery in my hands makes me feel better about if I do take the surgery option. I feel like *I* am making that decision for myself, not being forced to take that option because I have no other choice. The thought of other women out there who've made the decision and are completely happy with it, is really helping me cope with my own decision.
Unread 08-05-2012, 07:39 AM

So sorry for all the stress MystiL! And with a little one to take care of -- HUGS to you!

Your urogyno doesn't sound very warm and fuzzy :-( The surgeon for my breast cancer last year was an ***** and it really makes things tough. My urogyno is a young woman and told me that every woman's situation is different,,,some will have a stage 2 or 3 prolapse and feel OK while others have a minor prolapse and are in much discomfort. She told me my prolapses (bladder, bowel and uterine) wouldn't improve and could possibly get worse over time. I hung in for 2 years as I didn't want to have a hyster.

Just had my surgery 8 months ago and I feel great. Yes, try the pessary but stand your ground for a repair if it doesn't help. I just felt like it is the year 2012 -- I am not going to run around with a rubber thing stuck in me when it doesn't solve the problem and there is a solution to all this!
Unread 08-06-2012, 01:21 PM

It might be that you're so young that they're trying the pessary thing before doing something so final. I had a fear my insurance company would want me to try that because I was never able to wear a tampon much less a pessary!!!! They didn't, thank goodness.

I second what 22tappy said - stand your ground if that pessary doesn't work!
Unread 08-06-2012, 01:24 PM

I called my insurance company today and unfortunately mine does...So I have to do every option the Dr. offers before he will Okay the surgery, and he has to okay the surgery for my insurance to cover it...

I am a little less than thrilled at that discovery, but not really surprised either.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register