HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

DaVinci pros and cons DaVinci pros and cons

Unread 06-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Re: DaVinci pros and cons

I found this thread by doing a Google search for 'Da Vinci risks and cons' and got pages and pages of mostly Da Vinci sponsored glowing testimonials. This page was the first one that came up that actually had balanced take on it but it was on page 2 of the search results.

Keep on writing ladies! We need to get our varied experiences out there!
Unread 06-11-2012, 03:10 AM

I am one week post op Da Vinci. I could easily go on vacation. I feel great. I shop everyday, I've already done a 3 hr car trip on day 3 post op. I have no fatigue and no pain.
Unread 09-01-2012, 10:41 AM
DaVinci pros and cons

I don't think its false advertising at all and that there is a definite edge. I was ready to go back to work in a week. However I think you probably made a good choice if the hospital and surgeon were just getting the system. I am noticing that there is a wide range of recovery experience with da Vinci patients. I'm thinking results have much more to do w the surgeons experience w the robot and not the robotic aspect itself. But I am definately a believer in both the system and the Dr I sought out...he only uses da Vinci...plus it is a teaching hospital. I definately feel I got cutting edge care.
Unread 09-01-2012, 10:53 AM
DaVinci pros and cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLF_NYC View Post
That ad is full of it. I had a near perfect daVinci, and while I was up and moving around just fine after a few days, I was in no shape to go on vacation. One shouldn't be far from one's doctor so soon after major surgery, you are exhausted and still achey, you can't lift anything, and you are still having major bathroom woe. That ad is seriously false.
True you shouldn't be far from a Dr. I wouldn't be flying off Cancun to windsurf and sun and traipse around shops and ruins, then drink margaritas all night at a club after a week post op, but vacation can be relaxing and close to home too, of course. I think the point is that typically you are not still bed bound the weeks (and even days) after the surgery. I haven't experienced any bathroom woes though. I have gotten a UTI which doesn't have anything to do with surgery method.
Unread 09-01-2012, 11:05 AM

Ladies...I may have missed mention of this, but I think it is really important to research the surgeon...get a second, or even third opinion. ASK about the surgeons experience with the various methods and options you are considering. How long have they used da Vinci? How many dvc hysterectomies have they done? Have they ever had to convert to an open procedure? Technology is only as good as those who operate it. This is a major life event...shop around.
Unread 09-01-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathb911 View Post
I'm 1 week post op da vinci, kept ovaries. I am furious that DaVinci is advertising this as a walk in the park. My Dr is spearheading my hospitals DaVinci propaganda. The hospital bought the new model early this year.She did 2 newspaper interviews the same week as my surgery saying how fast and pain free recovery was. I am very happy with my surgery and am glad I choose daVinci, but very upset I have a dr that is not addressing my pain and other recovery issues as she is believing all the propaganda the Da Vinci company told her. Doctors are being trained on this new robot and being told all these things by a company trying to make money by telling hospitals they will save money and doctors they will have pain free patients. So not true. I read post after post of daVinci recovery threads because I thought maybe my pain and recovery issues were odd, but they are not odd. We still hurt. Today is the first day I could shower without help and put on my own underware.
I have to say I agree although my surgery went well and recovery was good it's still a major surgery and we are having parts removed that should not be removed no matter what type surgery you had it's still a major surgery . I have to agree that the hoispitals and doctors are trying to sell the Da Vinci surgery because it's new and they have to pay for it . I had the Da vinci surgery and even though at week one I was doing somethings on my own it was still painful and I'm 10 weeks out and I still swell and I still have pain were the insecions are and were my uters should be .... so yes each person is different but still a major surgery . no matter how they look at it .
Unread 09-01-2012, 07:33 PM

I had a very large tumor. I just turned the corner where I'm healed enough to start physical therapy. The scar tissue I have from the surgery is astonishing. I have scar tissue all the way up to my diaphragm. The physical therapist said that given the size of the tumor the tools were up pretty far. My pelvic floor physical therapist said I have issues with my fascia, muscle and even pelvic bones (she said that last bit is really unusual).

Basically given the small space my doctor was working in the tools were really banging me up as she was getting to the tumor. She made the call it was smarter than cutting me open. I don't have enough knowledge to know if it would have been better.

I'm at month four and now have the task ahead of getting rid of the scar tissue with exercise, stretches, ultrasound and physical therapy.
Unread 09-01-2012, 08:10 PM

I'm 3 weeks post op, total/da Vinci. I'm pretty much pain free, and was from the beginning. But vacation?! No way. I'm exhausted. I attended a baby shower today, was out maybe an hour and a half, and took a 3 hr nap! Light house keeping, driving, and moving pretty good, but that's about it. My dr told me that although I would feel little pain, I had major surgery and take the time to heal. I think she was pretty honest with me, but I can see where others may not be
Unread 09-01-2012, 08:14 PM
DaVinci pros and cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
I had a very large tumor. I just turned the corner where I'm healed enough to start physical therapy. The scar tissue I have from the surgery is astonishing. I have scar tissue all the way up to my diaphragm. The physical therapist said that given the size of the tumor the tools were up pretty far. My pelvic floor physical therapist said I have issues with my fascia, muscle and even pelvic bones (she said that last bit is really unusual).

Basically given the small space my doctor was working in the tools were really banging me up as she was getting to the tumor. She made the call it was smarter than cutting me open. I don't have enough knowledge to know if it would have been better.

I'm at month four and now have the task ahead of getting rid of the scar tissue with exercise, stretches, ultrasound and physical therapy.

PNW...sorry to hear about all the scarring. Did your surgeon use da Vinci, or was it the traditional laproscopic tools? (Like I know what they even are...!) I do know a major benefit of da Vinci is that the doctor can manipulate much smaller tools in a much smaller space due to the robot.
Unread 09-02-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathb911 View Post
very upset I have a dr that is not addressing my pain and other recovery issues as she is believing all the propaganda the Da Vinci company told her. Doctors are being trained on this new robot and being told all these things by a company trying to make money by telling hospitals they will save money and doctors they will have pain free patients. So not true.
Sadly, I suspect a lot of new daVinci surgeons believe all the hype. I got INSANELY lucky and got the guy leading the robotics program at the hospital I work at. He literally has almost 600 daVinci surgeries under his belt - he averages between 150-200 a year. So he knew exactly how quickly I'd be up and around, how long before I could put my underwear on myself, he knew my weight (overweight but not horrifically so) and the size of my uterus would be a factor in everything, all of it. I just wish daVinci didn't give newer robotic surgeons false expectations for their patients.

I'm glad I've never seen that commercial or I would be rather peeved. (In fact, we have our robotics steering committee meeting this coming Wednesday... if our daVinci rep is there this time, I just might ask him after the meeting what the heck they're thinking, putting out advertising like that. True, he's just our account rep, but maybe he can speak with their marketing department to let him know that women who have had the surgery done by their machines are rather offended by the implications of their commercial.)

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.