HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Ultrasound readings Ultrasound readings

Unread 01-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Ultrasound readings

Hi all, I'm wondering is it better to have your vaginal ultrasound done in your doctors office or is it better to be done at the hospital where the radiologist reads it ? It always seems like the radiologists do a better job at reading it than the previous gyn offices have . I'm going to a new gyn who wants to do it in his office but Im not sure which would be nervous . My symptoms are spotting , irregular periods, and pelvic pain . Im just confused on what to do .

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help .
Unread 01-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Re: Ultrasound readings

Hmmm... my opinion only, but in most radiology centers, radiologists read all different types of images. When I had a suspicious mammogram at a "radiology center", it was misread by the radiologist. I was then sent to a breast center, where a radiologist who did nothing but look at mammos, read my scans. So I guess it is a trade off of sorts. Ideal would be a radiologist that specializes in reading gynecological ultrasounds. But I would think a gyno with a LOT of experience in doing/interpreting US would be able to do a good job. Many gynos do it in office.

Also, US is very limited as to what it can "see". I have gone on to have a pelvic CT with contrast for pain issues. Mine was normal, and it ended up being scar tissue that was only discovered at surgery.
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:22 PM

Thanks ! I was just comparing my old ultrasounds . The one done by my previous gyn had my uterus 2cm smaller than it was and never mentioned the cysts that were found on the radiology report . Yes I agree a radiologist who specializes in gyn stuff would be perfect . Too bad my area doesn't have that . I had a pelvic MRI over a year ago that showed what they think is a tiny fibroid however that never showed on the ultrasounds . I'd like a repeat mri but I don't know if my gyn will do that . It's funny how conservative they are when I'm having these symptoms .

Thanks for the reply .

Oh and when I had a ct scan done over a year ago it said I had a hypodense endrometrium and it may reflect menstration ...to correlate clinically . But the doctor never asked me about it .
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:52 PM

I have had 2 internal ultrasounds done in my Drs office, as they have a woman who only does ultrasounds and reads them. She is easygoing and very competent. I am very confident that she knows exactly what kind of things my Dr is looking for, and may be able to catch things that might be overlooked or dismissed by someone not as completely comfortable with looking at uterus's all day I would be hesitant to go somewhere else for such an intimate procedure.

I think a lot of it has to do with your comfort level. You may feel better about an in office procedure once you see their set up. Or it may make you very uncomfortable, and you can always change your mind and go elsewhere for the procedure.

Good luck!
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:57 PM

Thanks ! That's very true . I thought well I can go and see what they say and compare it to my previous ultrasounds (for the size of my uterus ). They said they are doing a 3D ultra sound and to schedule it the day after my period ends .

I really appreciate being able to ask questions on this forum and all of the responses . I feel like my friends and family have no idea what I'm going through with all the concerns . It's pretty scary !

Thanks again ! God bless each of you .
Unread 01-20-2013, 12:18 AM

My GYNO found more than the radiologist that was at the hospital. My GYNO did the ultrasound in his office himself. He actually let me see what he saw as he was doing it and explained everything to me. The hospital would not even tell me nor show me anything.
Unread 01-20-2013, 01:58 AM

Yeah the Tech is doing mine and then I think he (gyn) looks at her findings afterward , I wonder if it just depends on the tech who's doing it ,

I've been doing research on estrogen levels and I can now see from all the symptoms that mine is probably very high and has been for years . I had no idea that diet and exercise could make such a huge difference in these levels and I'm now kicking myself for not being more proactive toward my health .

Anyway your prayers are appreciated as Im praying God leads me since I get so anxious , My doctors are certainly slow moving which isn't fun ,

I may ask for estrogen level blood tests as well but at this point a d & c and hysterscopy I'm sure Would tell me more. Of course if they agree to that, surgery makes me nervous but I just want to know whats going on .

Sorry again for rambling , thanks for listening and helping !
Unread 01-20-2013, 08:53 PM

This is my opinion, but I had mine done at my GYN's office. One benefit is I was probably able to get done earlier than if I had gone to the hospital. The hospital in my area seems to book outpatient procedures weeks, if not months, in advance. I also had mine done on a day my GYN was in the office, so after it was done I saw him immediately after to review the results. At a hospital, most likely you will have to wait for them to mail you the results and getting in to see your doc to go over them. Good luck!
Unread 01-20-2013, 10:17 PM

I had mine done in my gyno's office by a tech. She said she had been working there 6 years. They sent the ultrasound to a radiologist (all part of the same practice group) who read it and sent it back to the gyno. She read it, and found one thing the radiologist didn't. When I had the surgery, it turns out the measurements were off. My left ovary was supposed to be the size of a large grapefruit, it was the size of a small melon. My uterine lining was more than twice as thick as expected, and my right ovary was supposed to be normal sized, but was the size of a lemon. And the ultrasound and surgery were only 21 days apart! And why does everybody compare our ladyparts to fruit???
Unread 01-21-2013, 02:26 AM

Yeah I was asking my friend about it (she's a nurse), and she basically said those errors happen a lot. That it depends on the gyn , the tech, and the radiologist..,comforting, huh? I agree that the best thing to do is seeing it themselves (surgery).

Oh and my gyn is following up with me two weeks after my ultrasound is done. Isn't that weird ? I'd think it would be the same day as my ultrasound is done .

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.