HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Anyone use Premarin and progesterone cream together? Anyone use Premarin and progesterone cream together?

Unread 11-25-2002, 03:12 PM
Anyone use Premarin and progesterone cream together?

I'm on a low dose of Premarin and have been having some vaginal dryness - would progesterone cream help this or not? Someone told me that it would and my doctor is on vacation this week and I am just curious. Thanks for your help.
Unread 11-25-2002, 05:12 PM

Lily,
The vaginal dryness could be from an estrogen deficiency. Are you having any other symptoms? You might benefit from a vaginal estrogen cream.

Your friend might have suggested progesterone in that progesterone is suppose to make your estrogen more effective. You can read more about progesterone here www.hormonejungle.com/progest.php and here www.hormonejungle.com/progesterone.php
Unread 11-25-2002, 07:18 PM

Hi there,

Actually I just read somewhere on the women's diagnostic cyber site (http://www.wdxcyber.com/) that progesterone, because it offsets the estrogen, can increase vaginal dryness. You may do better applying an estrogen-based cream. See what your doc thinks.....
Unread 11-26-2002, 04:27 AM

I'm almost 2 years post-op........TAH/BSO 1/5/01. The vaginal dryness just became an issue for me in the past couple of months. I had a couple of root canals done this past summer, was on anti-biotics for 3 weeks, developed a yeast infection, then developed bacterial vaginosis from the yeast infection meds! Afterwards my vaginal area seemed to stay irritated and my internist....who I generally see for everything because I just like her a lot better then the gyn who did my surgery........sent me back to the gyn to be checked. She thought the gyn would probably prescribe estrogen cream but wanted the gyn to have a look at me anyway.
Well........the gyn did a quick visual exam and said "yep it looks a little dry there!" and prescribed Mytrex ointment. Not an estrogen. It's greasy, left stains on my underwear, I didn't want to wear a minipad because that seemed to make me feel more irritated and uncomfortable. And the Mytrex seemed irritating in itself.......it wasn't helping. The side effects listed said it could possibly make the irritation worse, and in my case, it was.
I'm on .625 Premarin and use Pro-Gest progesterone cream. Have used progesterone cream since early in my recovery.......I had a lot of endo and was on 0.3 mg premarin for the first 6 months post-op. I had a lot of endo and doc wouldn't increase the premarin til 6 months..........at 6 months I went on the .625 and been doing great since, til this battle with the dryness.
Anyway I went to the health food store where I get the Pro-Gest and picked up some Vaginal Moisturizing Gel made by Born Again Body. It has Wild Yam Extract and Vitamin E in it, is greasless, water-based, fragrant free, and non-staining...........and even more important it has taken care of the dryness and irritation. I only use it when necessary which isn't very often now. Once in a while I feel dry and irritated.......a little dab of this stuff takes care of it. I think it's great.......it works for me!! I think the tube was about $20 but a littl edab goes a long way so it will last for a long time.
So.......sorry to go on so long here. In answer to your question.........yes..........I'm on Premarin and I use Progesterone cream (I tried to stop using the Progesterone cream when I had been on the higher dose of Premarin for a while........I thought it wasn't doing much so why use it? So I quit for 2 weeks.......and developed strong PMS-like symptoms.......went back on the progesterone cream and felt much better!)
Good luck to you!
Ann

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.