I had an endometrial ablation 3 weeks ago to cauterize the inside of my uterus and hopefully stop the 7 months of bleeding I've had since my emergency BSO last August. I was so hopeful that this was the answer. I've been having normal post surgical discharge for 3 weeks and all seemed fine until this morning. I woke up to bright red blood, just like before, as if the surgery never happened. I'm so upset I don't know what to do. I'm trying to explain this away by blaming it on breakthrough bleeding from being on the last day of my patch. But the truth is that there shouldn't be any endometrial lining to bleed! This suggests that I'll either have to be on a higher dose of oral estrogen forever or have another surgery to remove the uterus. My Doc says my adhesions are too severe to take it out vaginally and that they can't cut into existing scar tissue so I'd end up with parallel scars on my abdomen and more adhesions! Or I can risk the side effects of very long term HRT use. (I had some limited success controlling the bleeding on a higher dose of estrogen, but I also had more endo and adhesion pain on it, so we did the ablation.)
I'm really beside myself. I see my Doc on Thursday and then I move to another state (TN) on next Wednesday, where I know no one, have no family, have no Doctor! I'm having trouble keeping it together. I don't think this post belongs here except that this is where I always post so I feel at home at Hormone Jungle and don't want to go to the Road Less Traveled. I don't want to admit that there is where I belong. Thanks for listening.
I must tell you that I can totally relate about your ablation. I had one done back in August, 2002, for 4 months of bleeding and serious cramping and abdominal pain. (I had already tried two different BC with no success.) Exactly 4 weeks to the day I began bleeding all over again as if I never had the ablation too. Depression set in quick! I didn't call my doc right away. I actually gave it three months (sounds like a long time) but I didn't want to go into the doc and him say "well, lets give a few more months..." I hate that! Well, three months and about 10 out of the 12 weeks bleeding, I went in....the discussion quickly changed to having a hysterectomy OR do another ablation. Well, there was no way I was going to try another one and wait again, etc...with how depressed I already was and back to all the pain....(I was ready to be pushed off the mountain if you get my drift) so, we scheduled the hysterectomy. Turns out I had severe adenomysis and my uterus was attached to my bladder on my left side.
I feel WONDERFUL now, just WONDERFUL. I am proud of myself for taking this process slow and trying things before jumping into the "big" surgery but I now know there was a CAUSE for all this and I am ready to move forward.
I wanted to share this with you as I know how you feel. Best of luck to you and your new place you will call "home." Who knows, maybe a new doc will give you some new ideas on what to do next......
Oh (((Steph))) I am so sorry! I can feel your disappointment, I know you were counting on this to be the end of all the bleeding.
I was all set to move your post over to the Road Less Traveled when I saw that you didn't want to admit that you belong there. Sweetie, we'd love to have you over there! I hope you will post there anyway and give all the ladies there a chance to support you.
It's got to be hard to be moving right now, too. If I were in your position, though, I would try to view the move as a chance to get a fresh start in choosing a really great new DR. You might want to also post in the Tennessee forum if you haven't already, and ask other sisters if they have had good experiences at a particular castle or with a particular DR? Just a suggestion.