HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Surgical clip problem.  Anyone else? Surgical clip problem. Anyone else?

Unread 06-14-2004, 11:48 PM
Surgical clip problem. Anyone else?

Recently, I discovered that the source of my continuing pain is from surgical clips (three very long ones) left in me many years ago. I am upset because this pain, which I still have, is the whole reason I had the TAH/BSO in the first place. Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

Thanks,
Unread 06-15-2004, 07:26 AM
Curious

Lucille,

I am sorry that you are still in pain! I was just curious how you found out that the clips are what is causing your pain? I have clips in me (from gallbladder removal) and I have never had any indication that they would cause pain.

I do hope you are able to get some relief!
Unread 06-15-2004, 10:54 AM

For ten years - ever since an ectopic pregnancy, which is another story in itself - I've complained about the pain on my right side. I could point directly to it and explain in detail the activities and body positions that hurt the worst. I got the usual run around from the doctors about adhesions, stress, depression etc. until 2001 when a doctor told me it was "a mass" and did the TAH/BSO. Turns out there was no "mass" but the TAH/BSO caused me severe complications and life threatening hormonal shock. While I was being treated for those problems, my complaints about my side were still ignored. Finally, I found a wonderful doctor who actually listened to me, and started to help with all the other problems. When I told him about the perstistant pain in my right side, he said, "Let's take a look" and ordered a simple, low dose X-Ray and there they were. Big as all get out and EXACTLY where I have been pointing to all these years!

Apparantly, ultrasounds don't show metal or the professionals doing them didn't think it was worth mentioning. I also had MRIs which had all come back "normal." I even asked a doctor once if it was possible I had metal in me because I always set off the alarms at airport security and he called the MRI place which told him, "No, I was "normal."

I don't what will happen now. If they will be removed or if I have live with the pain or what. That's why I was hoping to hear from anyone else who may have had a similiar experience.

Thanks for the response.
Unread 06-15-2004, 12:14 PM

Wow! What a story you have! I am really sorry you have had/are having such a time of things. I do hope that you will find answers soon.

I have had quite a few health/ doctor problems myself. Hormone hell and continued pain have been among them. So, unfortunately, I can empathize with you to a degree. Had my gallbladder out in '97 and MRI's/ X-rays of my back/pelvis done in 2001 showed "surgical clips from previous gallbladder removal." No-one ever said anything about it so, I figured they were suppose to be there.

Was dx with FMS/CFS 6 months prior to my TAH/LSO which was done due to an suspicious ovarian mass and many, many years of on-going bleeding and pelvic pain (endo and adeno). Here I am almost 2 years post op and 4 months into Lupron for reoccurring pain. I have reached a point where I know I'd be better off w/o the other ovary. Would have been 10 years ago (but that is another post). Have an appointment with my Gyn on 7/12 to discuss this.

Anyway.....let me know what they decided to do about your clips. I hope it isn't something you will have to live with!
Unread 06-15-2004, 12:23 PM

Hi ((Lucille))
I'm not sure if you recall my replying and sharing my own similar situation several months ago?? If not, I also have metal clips... Mine were used after my RSO and found on a CT Scan of my pelvis. That RSO was done over 4 yrs ago, 12 weeks after my Hyst; 3/31/2000 to be exact. I've suffered continuing right-sided pain Its always been a type of stabbing, pulling or burning type pain. Mine is located in the same area as the clips also but I've always felt mine was more Adhesion related It seems there are soo many gals here that suffer a similar pain in the area where the Ovaries used to be after their removal?!?

IMO, it would seem that the ideal solution would be to go in and remove the clips...seems like they could be replaced by something else, perhaps some sutures??
Have you tried locating any info concerning the possible risks of using these clips?? Maybe there is some info that could be helpful to you & your Dr that is available online?? Just a thot if you havent already....

Good Luck in finding some relief ((Lucille)) Pls keep us posted on your progress!

((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))
Unread 06-15-2004, 01:20 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

Sheri, I missed your clip postings I guess. Haven't been on here as much as I used to.

The problem with removing the clips, in my case, is now I am high risk for any surgery. The oophorectomy has really done a number on my cardio vascular system and I have antiphospholipid syndrome, (don't you have that too?) which makes surgery a contra indicator unless absolutely necessary.

About the pain - if it had come after the TAH/BSO, I guess I would have just assumed adhesions or scarring from the surgery too. However, since my pain came after the clips were put in and before my oophorectomy, I wonder how many others may be having the same problem and be totally unaware of it? Another thing about me is that I have always been one who healed very easily and with very little scarring. Doctors have always commented on this before. One doctor refused to believe I had had a paradidectomy because he couldn't see the scar that he insisted "would look like Frankenstein" if I had had that operation. There were no adhesions or problem scarring inside my abdomen and all the pathology remarks that it was smooth and supple inside.

It just blows me away that no one ever thought I should be informed that these clips were even inside me until now. They look like they are about 2 1/2 inches long and one pokes against my bowel which explains why I had such pain on my side when I had hard BM's.

I haven't found any information on the clips yet but I am looking. I did have a doctor suggest that they may also be the source of the chronic inflammation I have.

Any information that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Unread 06-15-2004, 01:52 PM

(((Lucille))) do you have the surgery report from the surgery where the clips were used? They should say exactly what type of clips, size, how many etc were placed and where, and then you could do a google search on those particular clips to see if anyone, anywhere has had problems with them.
s,
-Linda
Unread 06-15-2004, 02:00 PM

Hi again ((Lucille))!!
Yes, I also have the AntiPhospholipid syndrome <sigh>
I can totally relate to the increased risks with surgery when faced with these issues tho there are many factors that we must weigh in...also, you have the advantage of knowing what your up against and any precautions or extra measures that should be taken to lessen the risks

I looked around, and will continue to do so, but couldnt really find anything relative to what your experiencing. I did however notice the many articles that discussed Tubal Ligation and the use of the clips although their use wasnt really pinpointed as the problem. I did want to share this link with you:

Choledocholithiasis caused by migration of a surgical clip into the biliary tract following laparoscopic cholecystectomy.

It just sites an incidence with the clips and this site, in case you havent been there before:

Virtual Hospital : Textbooks by Specialty

The 2nd one contained quite abit of info...perhaps you can find something helpful

I'll be sure to share anything I come across....
Unread 06-15-2004, 03:38 PM

Linda,

That's part of the problem. He didn't mention them at all and there is no record. However, parts of my records are "missing." Of course, it's not like I swallowed them or was born with them in me. LOL. Clearly they are there and since he was the only one with that kind of access, we know who put them there.

Sheri,

Thanks for the information. I'll go look at that now.

Thank you both for taking the time to help me with this.

Hugs,

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.